Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to set up a user account for gaming

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Oct-2006, 10:07 PM #1
How to set up a user account for gaming
I currently have a lot of essential applications running in the background while I use my notebook. I would like to create a separate user account for gaming with minimal third-party applications during startup (i.e. a clean slate) so that I that I can devote more memory and processing power to my current game. I have tried doing this, but it seems that there are certain applications that are embedded in the registry so that they run for all users. Is there a way to resolve this issue? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,849 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Oct-2006, 11:16 PM #2
You may wish to have this thread moved to the Gamming forum here at TSG. You would be getting help from some experts there that could be more beneficial to your problem. If you would like this to be done please click the little triangle at the top right of the post area and ask a moderator to move the thread to the Gamming forum.

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Heaven goes by favorites, If it didn't then your dog would get in first. Amen.
Computer Specs

16-Oct-2006, 11:23 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrom1e
You may wish to have this thread moved to the Gamming forum here at TSG. You would be getting help from some experts there that could be more beneficial to your problem. If you would like this to be done please click the little triangle at the top right of the post area and ask a moderator to move the thread to the Gamming forum.
Well, I did consider posting there at first, but then again, my problem isn't really related to gaming. I think it's more of a general Windows user accounts question. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and I will request it to be moved if I don't get any responses from this forum
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

16-Oct-2006, 11:44 PM #4
You could try creating a separate "Gamer" hardware profile.

Gaming Machine: Hardware Profile to free up System Resources

HOW TO: Set Up Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers in Windows XP

-or-

Download SmartClose. It will close unneeded open applications and services if you choose.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 12:07 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5532g
You could try creating a separate "Gamer" hardware profile.

Gaming Machine: Hardware Profile to free up System Resources

HOW TO: Set Up Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers in Windows XP

-or-

Download SmartClose. It will close unneeded open applications and services if you choose.
Wow, thanks for the link to SmartClose. I have yet to try it, but I think it may be just what I need

About hardware profiles, I went throught those articles before but they only relate to hardware and services, right? I mean, I would still have to use a utlity such as SmartClose to selectively start/close applications that I don't want running in the background.
Senior Member with 2,312 posts.

17-Oct-2006, 12:42 AM #6
If you decide to create another profile, you would set unneeded services to manual or disabled in the new profile. You would only need to do this once.

However, Smartclose is easier to use than creating and configuring another profile.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 03:17 AM #7
I've been playing around with SmartClose a bit and ran into some problems:
  1. It takes quite a long time to close all the running applications, even on my office workstation which only has a handful in the background.
  2. It has trouble restarting certain applications such as Kerio Personal Firewall and X1 Desktop search.
  3. AVG antivirus is successfully restarted, but SmartClose leaves a command prompt window open after initializing it.

Are these just limitations of the program, or am I doing something wrong?
Member with 154 posts.

17-Oct-2006, 06:48 AM #8
It's Freeware... Those kinds of things are expected with a free piece of software. Chances are it was built and developed by gamers, and they probably didn't concern themselves too much with trimming the edges on things like that.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 07:56 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferendon
It's Freeware... Those kinds of things are expected with a free piece of software. Chances are it was built and developed by gamers, and they probably didn't concern themselves too much with trimming the edges on things like that.
Yeah, I get what you mean. It's just that I really liked the idea of a utility like SmartClose and was wondering if there was anything I could do to salvage its usefulness. As it stands now, it would be less of a hassle for me to just close and restart everything manually
Senior Member with 394 posts.

Experience: Possibly Competent
17-Oct-2006, 08:17 AM #10
I have a freeware utility called GameProfile that might be of use, that i wrote a while back. It doesnt close all apps, just windows services, so might not be as useful as SmartClose. But i might be able to expand it if you have any suggestions

http://www.niris.co.uk/products/gameprofile.html
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 08:37 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDude
I have a freeware utility called GameProfile that might be of use, that i wrote a while back. It doesnt close all apps, just windows services, so might not be as useful as SmartClose. But i might be able to expand it if you have any suggestions

http://www.niris.co.uk/products/gameprofile.html
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely give your utility a try. However, I tend to be more concerned with background applications rather than services because I just have so many running rampant in my system tray.

In that aspect, SmartClose was on the right track but unfortunately it's a little too rough around the edges for my liking. I think that one reason for it encountering conflicts with certain applications is that after closing them, it tries to return them to their last running state. A utility that simply restarts the applications afresh would probably be less error prone. Also, SmartClose seems to have problems with applications that run both as a service and background process such as Kerio Personal Firewall.

Sorry if my descriptions are not very clear or inaccurate. I'm not exactly a techie

17-Oct-2006, 08:49 AM #12
No that all makes sense

Closing any application can be a bit tricky, killing processes can be problematic (might not be aware of dependencies), likewise restarting them can cause issues, as an exe may require cmd line parameters (maybe where smartclose is having probs?). I guess expanding my util to accept user selectable services would be possible, but there is still issues with just standard exe's.
Computer Specs

17-Oct-2006, 08:57 AM #13
Actually, considering the number of serious gamers out there, I'm surprised at the lack of more robust utilities for this purpose. Perhaps, as you said, closing and restarting both processes and services is not an easy thing, so any utility that could do it reliably would quite likely not be free

Well, here's to hoping that you don't start charging for yours once you're done coding it

17-Oct-2006, 04:01 PM #14
Well i've had a little play this evening and have released a new version of GameProfile (about time i updated it). You can now get it to shutdown any services that you wish.

Im still thinking about how to shut down plain exe's (and restart them) so if anyone has any thoughts, let me know (msconfig startup commands, reg entries, shortcut target settings??)

Still freeware, enoughcliches
Senior Member with 244 posts.

17-Oct-2006, 05:46 PM #15
nice i didnt think there would be something like this, never really looked, tried it out, pretty decent > smart close
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!