Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Nov-2006, 08:01 AM #1
Question Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny
I've recently purchased Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny. However, after each attempt to install, it stops at 94% and gives a Windows Compatibility Error message, I took this to EA and they've recently told me to attempt to install the game in Safe Mode. I then try to install it in Safe Mode when before any visible signs of the installation occur (with the percentages of completion), but after all the filling out and configuration. Anyway, after all of that, Safe Mode cuts the installation and puts up this error message:

"Warning-Unable to create Direct Sound Object."

EA has been useless in helping me with this error as they simply reply advising that I 'install it anyway, as this is a "normal error message"', Regardless of the fact that I've even told them that this message makes it impossible for any installation to occur.

Anyone know how to remedy this? Or if anyone had ANY luck installing this game on Windows XP Home...please God, tell me of your miraculous ways!
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Nov-2006, 02:32 PM #2
Oh yes. Microsoft has an emulator that emulates an older computer and got that and then installed windows 95 on that emulator and then installed the game. I'll try to figure out the name of the emulator and get back to you, unless you are able to find it before I do.
Computer Specs

20-Nov-2006, 03:48 PM #3
DOSbox?
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,893 posts.

21-Nov-2006, 12:25 AM #4
Wait how old is it? Windows 95 era? Have you tried running the setup.exe file in Compatibility Mode?
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2006, 06:00 AM #5
The Operating System requirement is DOS 5.0 or above. It doesn't run on Windows Compatibility Mode, on just about any setting, and it's integrity is fine. Haha, i had to go over some of this before. This game is practically cryptic.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

21-Nov-2006, 08:28 AM #6
if it's a DOS game, then download DOSBOX. Its an emulator to run DOS games.

Windows XP does not support DOS.
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2006, 10:15 AM #7
K, got DOSbox, But I have no idea how to run it... Got any tips...or...complete guides?

21-Nov-2006, 10:39 AM #8
its been a while... let me look it up.
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2006, 10:48 AM #9
Should I attach screenshots so I can better ask what I need help in? of the DOSbox thang.

21-Nov-2006, 10:52 AM #10
nah, all you need to do is mount the cd rom... i will get you the instructions
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2006, 10:53 AM #11
Uhh...what's mounting the CD-rom? unless the instructions are for just that.

21-Nov-2006, 10:54 AM #12

21-Nov-2006, 10:56 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlgrsldsnake
Uhh...what's mounting the CD-rom? unless the instructions are for just that.
The CD-ROM drive is not 'recognised' by default, so you have to add it on (called mounting)
Computer Specs

21-Nov-2006, 11:22 AM #14
Kick *** dude, this seems like it's gonna work! But...Now it says that there isn't enough space available...the game takes up about 211 megabytes...and it says my entire computer has about 100 megabytes..how do I fix this? and the sound sounds like crap...all crackly, but that's a lesser problem that i'm willing to deal w/.
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2006, 01:56 AM #15
Virtual PC
I remember now the name of the program I used. It was called Microsoft Virtual PC. It's basically a virtual computer which does not come with an operating system, so I installed Windows 98 on it and then I ran Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny on it. That's an alternative to using DosBox. The game allows you to install it on Win95/98 or Dos and there might be a different setup file to use if you are installing to Windows versus Dos, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

Regards,

Jeff

Last edited by merlock; 22-Nov-2006 at 02:01 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!