Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Very high signal latency when playing WoW

(!)

Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Dec-2006, 02:33 PM #1
Very high signal latency when playing WoW
The signal latency figure given when playing World of Warcraft is very high, around 6000m/s at times. This is making it hard to play on-line and generally spoiling the pace of the game.
What could be the cause of the problem,can it be fixed and if so..how?

I am running..
Windows xp with athlon 64 processor.(1gb ram)
Geforce 7800 GTX graphics card

Nothing picked up in scanning for malware etc with adware, spybot or AVG
Anti-spyware. No viruses detected by Avast av program.

Any help much appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

Experience: Wouldn't YOU like to know
05-Dec-2006, 02:35 PM #2
Well, lag like that is typically related to how far away you are from the actual server, and how long the signal physically takes to do a round trip. Has this just become a problem recently, or is this your first time playing the game?
Member with 28 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 03:16 PM #3
The lag time today was 6045 m/s but it has been lower (around 600m/s yesterday) which still seems high. I have played the game for quite a while now and over recent months it seems to of got worse.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 03:19 PM #4
Hmmm. Have you noticed any problems with your ISP service lately? Slow internet, download times, etc?
Member with 28 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 03:38 PM #5
Pages are slow to load on some sites occasionally, especially those with a lot of image content, but I took this to be normal and a problem with their server.I am connected using a 1mb ADSL connection and its showing as connected at 1.1mbps
Computer Specs
Member with 2,291 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 03:43 PM #6
Where is the WOW server you are connecting to? Is there one closer to you with a lower response time you can try?
Computer Specs
Member with 12,638 posts.

Experience: Interemedial
05-Dec-2006, 05:13 PM #7
WoW had a patch today, and WoW uses its own background torrented downloader to distribute the patch - your latency may be related to multiple users acquiring the patch from you.
Computer Specs
Member with 12,638 posts.

Experience: Interemedial
05-Dec-2006, 05:22 PM #8
Addition: There was apparently a problem with the patch, which is being re-patched. It may be related to your latency issue as well.
Member with 42 posts.

05-Dec-2006, 10:39 PM #9
hi
m/s has to do with internet connection.... lag has 2 do with ghz and graphics cards, and types of memory problems ect..... try getting a better internet connection
Computer Specs
Member with 70 posts.

Experience: I know more than i let on, but im always learning!
06-Dec-2006, 06:00 AM #10
We use tiscali broadband (2mb) for our PC. WoW runs fine, i usually have <150MS.

There has been a lot of ruckus lately over the patching system. A lot of the players (myself included) have had trouble with the background downloader.

Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

The latency youre experiencing is most likely tied to the downloader. When you get the splashpage before running the game itself, change the update options (bottom left corner) to download on game EXIT. then you can play and download afterwards. much better.

If youre not *far* into the game it might be worth re-rolling on a different server. I used to play on Sylvanas and has consistent lag. Dragonmaw has very little in comparison. at least for me :P
Clumbsy_Mage Clumbsy_Mage is offline Clumbsy_Mage has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 834 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Dec-2006, 06:17 AM #11
To the OP: If you were using NTL - a cable ISP - I could understand your latency problems, as I and the majority of NTL/Telewest users playing WoW experience network difficulties probably due to Telia - Blizzards choice of server providers. I'm more often than not getting a latency of 300 in Warsong Gulch, and 200 just in Orgrimmar. Most other NTL users either disconnect or get latencies of over 1,000.

But you're using ADSL, so I'm not sure what your problem may be. First step is to read the Blizzard technical forums, and post a tracert. If you're connecting to the internet through a router, try connecting directly using an ADSL modem instead.
Member with 28 posts.

06-Dec-2006, 03:44 PM #12
Jones....I use the "silver moon" server which is in France. I don't know of a closer one.

cowcow20... by "better" do you mean faster or with a different ISP?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,798 posts.

07-Dec-2006, 06:42 PM #13
Just an FYI.. I too get high spikes.. It's happened twice in two different locations..
My usual is about 70 to 160 Ms... It spiked to over 1,800 at one point..
(On 3Mb cable.. Charter on the West coast U.S.)

I turned off the P2P part of the downloader so its direct http only, and its set to download after the game closes..

It can all depend on whether your ISP has oversold your market.. if others in your neighborhood are downloading.. I get peek and off times..
If you can, try playing at different hours of the day.. see if there is any change..
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 372 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Dec-2006, 11:05 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke
Jones....I use the "silver moon" server which is in France. I don't know of a closer one.

cowcow20... by "better" do you mean faster or with a different ISP?
I would ask around on the WoW forums and see if you can find a server that's closer to you. Try rolling additional characters on other realms and see if the lag follows you there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!