Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

GTA San Andreas on Vista

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 574 posts.

Experience: A bit of this & that
28-Jun-2007, 03:03 PM #1
GTA San Andreas on Vista
I have just got a brand new copy of GTA SA and i have installed it in my laptop that runs vista Basic, the laptop has more than the required specifications.

the game installed fine with no problems but i am not able to play it. when i press start a new game if freezes, i have left it at this stage for half an hour last night and nothing happened, when i go to the task manager it says that GTA has stopped responding. this also happens when i try and load a game, i downloaded a save so that i could see if the game would load that way but it doesent.

the game ran fine on my xp machine from the same disk so i know that the disk is good.

is there a patch that i need to run it on Vista??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JPLamb; 28-Jun-2007 at 03:10 PM..
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,893 posts.

28-Jun-2007, 03:19 PM #2
2 things:

Laptops are not designed for playing games, especially games graphically intensive as GTA: SA.

Since the game came out before Vista, you can try to use the Windows XP Compatibility Mode.

What laptop do you have?
Computer Specs
Member with 574 posts.

28-Jun-2007, 03:31 PM #3
i understand that laptops are not designed to play games btu my last machine did and this one is higher spec so i guessed that it would play it, my laptop it a Toshiba Satellite L30 -10Y

how do i get to the XP Compatibility Mode?

cheers
Computer Specs
Member with 6,115 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2007, 03:48 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couriant
2 things:

Laptops are not designed for playing games, especially games graphically intensive as GTA: SA.

Since the game came out before Vista, you can try to use the Windows XP Compatibility Mode.

What laptop do you have?
That's not necessarily true. Laptops, like the Dell XPS's work fine for playing games.

My friend owns an Acer 5672WLMi and it works fine for playing high-end games. It even runs them better than my Desktop. He can play high-end games like Battlefield 2 running on high settings... so that's not exactly true.

It completely depends on which laptop.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,785 posts.

28-Jun-2007, 10:22 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammysheep

cheers
Never messed with Vista but if it's like XP just right click the SA.exe and see if there is a compatibility option.

Some say it works just fine, others have random problems.. who knows really, just gota poke around and see what works.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

28-Jun-2007, 11:53 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammysheep
i understand that laptops are not designed to play games btu my last machine did and this one is higher spec so i guessed that it would play it, my laptop it a Toshiba Satellite L30 -10Y

cheers
Right click on the game .exe file (or the shortcut in the Start Menu or desktop if it's there) > Properties > Compatibility Tab. Check the box to Run Program As and the drop down menu should already be on Windows XP SP2.

Generally the notebooks are not suitable for gaming because of the video card, though I have seen one or two with decent cards that can do the job... though battery life is not that good
Computer Specs
Member with 574 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 03:20 PM #7
Hi, sorry i have take time to get back to you,

i have tried the XP Compatibility Mode and this has not helped it still freezes in exactly the same place. i will have a play around and try to get it working but any other sergestions would be great,

cheers.

30-Jun-2007, 04:47 PM #8
OK, I found the specificatioons, and although your machine may have the required hardware, the problem you have is that the video is not independent from the memory. From what I can can tell, you have 512MB of memory. Up to 256MB of that memory will be used up for the video card. Vista itself is a memory intensive OS, so I would think that you will have a lot of issues with it.
Computer Specs
Member with 574 posts.

01-Jul-2007, 04:34 AM #9
ah right, cheers for that, i never thought about the video memory.

thanks everyone that has helped.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Mar-2008, 11:02 AM #10
what do i do
hey i read the above and i have a machine that runs cysis on high settings so gta should be no problem but its freezing and saying not responding just as before i had it working for like 20 min but when i paused the game to view map it froze their any advice is their a patch plz help if anyone uses this thread anymore ?

thanks
Junior Member with 3 posts.

20-Apr-2008, 12:05 PM #11
i was installing it and it crashed about 3/4s of the way through say it was a missing cutscene is there anyway to fix this?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,729 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Apr-2008, 04:53 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzman View Post
i was installing it and it crashed about 3/4s of the way through say it was a missing cutscene is there anyway to fix this?
Re-install the game.

JP: If it was a RAM problem, I think the game should still load.. GTA:SA, in terms of todays computers, is not an intensive game so a laptop should run it well. Do you have any problems with any other games?
Junior Member with 3 posts.

24-Apr-2008, 02:00 PM #13
no it might just be that my cd is scratched cause i bought it 2nd hand
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 447 posts.

Experience: Level 21
24-Apr-2008, 03:39 PM #14
If it's a matter of not enough RAM because Vista is consuming it all, see if vista lets you turn off the 3d menus like XP does. In the XP performance options in Computer Properties, there's an adjust for best performance. It makes it look like win98, but if it plays your games, it may be worth a try.
janis1 janis1 is offline janis1 has a Profile Picture
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-May-2008, 04:20 PM #15
When i play San Andreas my screen turns off adn then i have to reboot my computer!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!