Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Civilization 3 can't play

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Jul-2007, 11:20 PM #1
Civilization 3 can't play, install, or uninstall
I've been able to play this game on my PC before. When I tried to play tonight, I put in the CD to play and the screen pops up that allows me to choose to play, view readme file, uninstall, register, or exit. I can do everything but play. When I choose uninstall, it takes me to a screen where I can modify, repair, or remove. When I click on modify, it takes me to a screen where I should select various options to fix. Nothing shows up, and neither for repair. For remove, it goes to installshield and immediately says it's finished. However, it still shows up in my add/.remove programs list. Any suggestions? I recently had my computer tuned-up and a new hard drive put in, but like I said, the game still shows up as being there but there are no files included. I can't do run setup either.

My computer:
Dell Inspiron 600m
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1300MHz
Processor Speed 598 MHz
Memory (RAM) 384 MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Last edited by atsjen; 04-Jul-2007 at 11:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 28 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jul-2007, 11:26 PM #2
Try a reinstall.
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 11:34 PM #3
I can't get it to let me reinstall. I originally tried that, and when I install the disk, the only option is to uninstall. When I choose that option, it asks if I want to completely remove all files, and I click yes. Then it immediately goes to the install shield message that says uninstall is complete. Yet it never lets me reinstall. is there a way I can accomplish this? Like I said, I've tried to do setup.exe in the run menu but it does the same thing.

By the way, when I right clicked on the CIV 3 cd-rom and opened the file, I tried to click on the Civ 3 icon. It said "The application has failed to start because binkw32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." (But again, can't figure out a way to do that).
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 11:49 PM #4
Go to the add/remove list, remove Civ3, install from disc.
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2007, 11:54 PM #5
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I already tried that (see first post). When I click on remove, it goes through the same process - takes me to the uninstall wizard and I can choose to modify, repair, or remove, and clicking on any of these tells me it's done performing maintanance on CIV 3. Any other thoughts?
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2007, 12:12 AM #6
Perhaps during the tune-up some of the files could have been lost, corrupted or many other things. Just keep tinkering with it, you'll find something eventually.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,553 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 02:27 AM #7
download the binkw32.dll file from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?binkw32 and put it in the game directory where the CIV3 exe file is.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Novice
06-Aug-2007, 08:24 AM #8
I've also had a problem with Civ 3 Complete
The game installs ok, but when it comes to playing it, the game won't start after pressing the 'Play' button.
No error messages come up, it just doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Aug-2007, 02:07 PM #9
Well, I don't know what the problem is. Can you give me the stats about your graphics card. I know it's irrelevant, but sometimes games malfunction because of that.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!