Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Halo 2

(!)

Junior Member with 25 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:10 AM #16
Yeah the game compnies would take a few hits for that, but its not unheard of. The whole Vista only issue is the exact same as the consol specific titles.

The way i see it, the harware companies shot the whole process in the foot when they didn't come out with Drivers for Vista until recently. I run Vista and nearly all the games i run work perfectly fine with Vista, in fact some of the Games for Windows games i have work even better. I only ran across one game, Advent rising that didn't work under Vista.

Microsoft was all gun ho ready to unleash Vista on the world and take gaming by storm , and the hype of (nonexistant) DX 10 games was at an all time high, but then when the OS launched, where were the new drivers? Were was the support form the Hardware comapnies?

Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2007, 10:16 AM #17
The game developers will also get a say in this though, not just Microsoft, as they’d obviously rather sell millions of copies of their latest DirectX 10 game than just a mere few thousand. This is because Windows XP is still the preferred choice due to performance and compatibility issues with many games under Vista and partly because only DirectX 10 games would motivate gamers to update. Seems to me like we have a classic chicken and the egg situation here.

frankly upgrading an operating system just to be able to play a few games would be a bit much to swallow for most gamers, especially the budget conscious ones. Paying a minimum $200 price premium for a Vista upgrade is more than a bit over budget for most though, especially if youv just saved up for direct x 10 hardware
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:18 AM #18
and on the topic of those 8500 and 8600 cards..they are the LOWER spec direct X cards...the 8800 is still the top end..and will be till the 9 series...i pretty sure the 9 series was out this fall...but you know developers...itl porably be out next march! i still have high hopes tho..

06-Jul-2007, 10:22 AM #19
Actualy i would think that nvidia might release the 9 series cards sonner then later. When they do, ATI/AMD (aren't they called Damit now?) will be in a tough spot. They can BARELY compete with the 8800 series cards and only on the low end. But if they release a new series of cards of even higher specs, well ATI/AMD would be done for, the first nail in the coffin so to say.

Isn't it too early to realese a new cards series?

Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:32 AM #20
well according to the Inquirer report, Mr. Hara declared that the G92 (GeForce 9 series, codenamed G92) is penciled in to launch during Q4 2007 according to NVIDIA's new product release strategy

itl be capable of nearly 1 trillion floating point calculations per second...itl kill ATI...unless they can pull something special out and beat the trillion mark...doubtful!

06-Jul-2007, 10:36 AM #21
I used to not care about who made m vid card, used to use ati or nvidia based tech both. But now...i dont know it seems like that Nvidia is burning Ati out and the same goes for Intel and AMD, seems like Intel keeps pulling ahead.

Well if the 9 series of cards is supposed to be out in the next 4 months then hey maybe they will lower prices on the 8800 series and i can actualy get one. Right now i am using a 7900 gs.

What do you use?

Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:44 AM #22
im using the top end 8800 gtx...which is more than enough to run any game flat out at the mo...my system will run crysis flatout when it arrives..the 9 series teraflop performance will be overkill for atleast a year...and the price will match its power so..yeh it might be worth going for the 8800 as it possible will drop $200 in about 4 months...and yeh same is true of intel...they are having a price crash on the 22nd of july...on the advent of ther core 3 release...so...the quad core 2 currently $580 will be about $200...the time to upgrade to the now current harware is is in a few months! my system cost about 3000 ($6000) that was back in jan this year..so if id waited till christmas it would probably cost about 1800 ($3400??) and thats a system that will be running games out right for at least 4 yrs...

06-Jul-2007, 10:50 AM #23
Well ok...

Sorry i was just imaganing what i would do with a system like that. Well, i know here (Ottawa) right now the 8800 GTX is about 550 $ CAD and the intel quad core is about 500 $ CAD. and well is i can get BOTH for about 500 $ CAD before taxes well....i don't think i would even think twice. I mean my girlfriend would probaly make me sleep out in the coputer room...but hey............it would be worth it.

Well if you are right then i am instore for a large upgrade to my mahcine.

Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 10:52 AM #24
ah canadian..umm i dont know the conversion rate on that one...but yeh id imagine ud get both the core and GPU for about $700 CAD by october...

and well...if ur GF makes u sleep in the comp room...thats just a bonus...more gaming time

06-Jul-2007, 10:58 AM #25
The price sounds right and so does the possible punishment. I can't even imagine how a 8800 GTX and quad core core 2 would run SupCom....i the time i will waste....

Which company card did u get. I was looking into getting a BFG but for somereason they cost more here, do u know if there is a difference?

Nick
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 11:19 AM #26
supreme comander??? my GF plays that on her comp...and thats a single core AMD 3500...1gb of ram and a HIS RADEON X850 XT AGP....and that system runs it just fine

and nonono...i was cursed by BFG b4...im using xfx...but either the xfx or the EVGA card is the best card atm...and yeh ther is a difference according to the set up of your machine...it depends on the make of your mother board, ram and cpu which one to get...but the differnce in performance is only very very very very slight....
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 11:21 AM #27
in fact the gigabyte gtx actually comes with supreme comander in the box
Computer Specs
Member with 2,088 posts.

06-Jul-2007, 11:25 AM #28
768Mb EVGA 8800 Ultra, PCI-E (x16), Mem 2160 MHz, GPU 612 MHz, 128 Pipes/Stream, Dual DVI-I HDTV

that is the best card on the market atm..if you can find that under $500 then uv done well

06-Jul-2007, 11:27 AM #29
Gee well if i could get my GF to play SupCom...the world would be perfect...but alas she is more into FPS and fragging my sorry *** in halo 2.

While i know that SupCom runs on single core machines, i was really suppired to hear that. I tried out the demo on a single core machine back when it first came out and well it made me very sad. But even now on my dual core, if i turn too much of the graphical goodies on well it brings my rig to its knees....

But hopefully after this fall that won't be the case anymore

Nick

06-Jul-2007, 11:29 AM #30
well right now this one is about 659$ CAD

EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Chipset (575MHz) Shader Clock (1350MHz) 768MB (1.8GHz) PCI-Express Graphic Card 128 Stream Processor Shader Model 4.0 2x Dual-Link DVI-I HDTV TV-Out Support HDCP DirectX 10 SLI-Ready Built for Windows Vista
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!