Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Diablo II won't run on XP

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2007, 04:35 PM #1
Diablo II won't run on XP
Hi, my partner as purchased a later version of Diablo II as we lost, sorry, mis-placed the original discs. Having loaded it, it comes up with the message "please insert Play disc II" even though the disc is in the cd drive. I've down loaded the latest patch from blizzard, have ensured that we have the latest drivers from Creative and the latest Driverx. This happens on the 3 pc's that I have tried it on. We use to have it running on the original pc but was on Windows 2000. One of the common things is that all the PC's are running versions of Windows XP, 1 having Media Edition the other 2 having XP professional. All are service pack 2 enabled. Can any one help as She is getting to the stage of throwing it out the window. Oh, this is the 3 copy of Diablo II we had from the games store?????
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Oct-2007, 10:42 PM #2
Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed, and then try running it in Compatibility mode. Right-click the D2 shortcut, hit Properties, select Compatibility, and select Windows 98 compatibility mode.

15-Oct-2007, 03:14 AM #3
Hi, thanks for this. Tried it both in Windows 98 and 2000 but it still comes up with the same message. Any other idea as I'm out of them.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

15-Oct-2007, 10:54 AM #4
It should work fine on XP, I've never had problems with it.

Post your DXDiag report, click Start->Run, type in 'dxdiag' without quotes, and hit OK. When the progress indicator on that program is done, click the 'save information' button, save it somewhere, and then paste it into your thread.

15-Oct-2007, 03:49 PM #5
Hope this is understandable ....
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (37.7 KB, 342 views)
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

15-Oct-2007, 04:36 PM #6
I had an idea of what I thought the problem might be when I asked for your DXDiag, and now I forget what I was thinking. If I remember, I'll let you know...

It asks for Play Disc II? I thought there was only 1 play disc?
Junior Member with 7 posts.

15-Oct-2007, 09:40 PM #7
Smile It does work
Hey,
i have a copy of diablo 2 and i have xp it runs not perfectly but runs well enough to play buit the point is that it does run on xp reguardless if u do or dont have the lastetst updates for xp so yeah have fun,
PS could be due to the disk.

16-Oct-2007, 02:29 AM #8
It's labeled Play disc 2 but there is only the 1 play disc..... I even installed the full game so i don't need to swop cd's. Getting a headache on this now as partner is giving me trouble lol
Computer Specs

Experience: Beginner
23-Oct-2007, 06:41 AM #9
i own 2 copies never seen play disc 2 could be bad pirate copy confusion you d/l patch before installing ? as per your post ? this is usually not possible till you have installed expansion set too

28-Oct-2007, 11:24 AM #10
Hi, it is a original copy from Game store, it's the 3rd copy we've had. There are 3 disc in the box of which one is called Play Disc II, which the only copy. Any help would be appricated.
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 12:02 AM #11
it seems the entire batch is faulty from that store ... both my friend and me own 2 copies each... i've never seen a disc called play disc 2 or II ...
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2007, 12:16 AM #12
perhaps a person from another store will let you look at a the d2 discs... or the owner of the ' faulty ' ones should try to load it on his or her puter... i dont know what else to suggest... it all smacks of cheap pirate game cds
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!