Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BF2 1.41 patch problem

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

07-Apr-2009, 08:03 PM #1
BF2 1.41 patch problem
I install BF2 from the cd, then I run the 1.41 patch (tried from both the ea website and from fileplanet), and it tries to install but a window comes up that says "Please insert disk 1 that contains file data2.cab" with a browse button to redirect it.

I wasn't sure what to do so I redirected it to my bf2 disk 1, and errors such as "CRC error: The file C:\Program files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\Support\readme.txt doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor." come up as it tries to continue to install.

What should I do?
Computer Specs
Member with 448 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Apr-2009, 08:07 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamutod View Post
I install BF2 from the cd, then I run the 1.41 patch (tried from both the ea website and from fileplanet), and it tries to install but a window comes up that says "Please insert disk 1 that contains file data2.cab" with a browse button to redirect it.

I wasn't sure what to do so I redirected it to my bf2 disk 1, and errors such as "CRC error: The file C:\Program files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\Support\readme.txt doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor." come up as it tries to continue to install.

What should I do?
Buy a legal copy?

07-Apr-2009, 08:21 PM #3
This is a legal copy. I bought it at a computer store a few days ago...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

07-Apr-2009, 08:46 PM #4
Errors during installation, feature transfer error, cyclic redundancy check:

Typically, these errors are caused by either a damaged CD or DVD, or a faulty CD/DVD drive. To check if this is the problem, try copying the contents of the disc to your computer. Just open My Computer, right-click the CD/DVD drive, and hit Open. Hit Ctrl+A, then Ctrl+C (Select all, and copy), then paste it somewhere on your hard drive. If it can't copy successfully, then try cleaning the disc, or try to get a new one by returning it, or by contacting the manufacturer.

07-Apr-2009, 08:56 PM #5
I don't think its a problem with the CD because I installed the game from the CD successfully, and I'm only have problems with the patch that I downloaded from the EA website and other sources. I would think that the patch only pulls files from itself, as it is the 536mb full patch. Also, it tries finding the data2.cab file in a folder in my Temp folder, in which there are 534mb worth of the patch files, which includes data1.cab but not data2.cab. I don't really understand why... I will try what you suggest anyway.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

07-Apr-2009, 09:12 PM #6
Try extracting the patch file to a folder other than the Temp directory, like c:\bf2patch or something.

Sometimes games pull extra files off of a CD, but that's usually only when installing an expansion, not a patch. Still, it could be trying to get something from the CD. I guess if it's asking for the CD, then it must have a use for it.

07-Apr-2009, 09:26 PM #7
Ok so I extracted the patch to another folder, and put the data2.cab file into the patch's folder. I don't think that's the data2.cab file it needs though because it still has the error about the files not being consistent with the ones in the data2.cab. I feel like the patch is missing a data2.cab file that was supposed to be included with it. Also the folder the patch creates in the temp folder is Disk 1, so that may be the "disk 1" it's referring to.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

07-Apr-2009, 10:41 PM #8
Try installing the patches incrementally - instead of going from 1.0 to 1.41, go from 1.0 to 1.1, then to 1.2, then 1.3, etc., until you get to the one you need. I don't know what the BF2 patch versions are, but find a site that has all of them, like Fileplanet, and download them in order.

08-Apr-2009, 08:11 AM #9
I thought of trying that, but EA for some reason didn't release an incremental patch from 1.4 to 1.41. They only have that full update.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,577 posts.

08-Apr-2009, 10:13 AM #10
Hmm, yea, you're right, that's weird. I would try it anyway - maybe the full patch will see some of the files there already, and not try to install the new ones.

08-Apr-2009, 12:05 PM #11
I tried the incremental updates, and even on the 1.01 update it asks for the data2.cab from disk 1. So maybe it is a problem with my disk after all. I'll borrow my friend's disk and see what happens.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bf2, game, install, patch, problem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!