Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Online games like wow and lotro keep freezing

(!)

Member with 87 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-May-2009, 04:17 AM #1
Online games like wow and lotro keep freezing
Hi can some help me please?
my online have started to freeze after about 10 - 30 mins of play, they worked fine about a week ago with the odd crash here and there but nothing like they are doing now?
the only thing i have done different in the past week ir so is change my room about a abit, like moving my pc to a different place in my room. it is nearer my free view box and where the tv aireal comes out of the wall. it is also nearer the mains. at first i thought it might of been the new nvidia driver update, but i put the old one back on and it still happens?

i am using xp home, i have nvidia 8800 gt, using bt home hub with cable.

anyhelp please
Senior Member with 940 posts.

19-May-2009, 04:29 AM #2
See if your computer desk or table wheels (well some of them has it) is leaning on the Lan cable.
Member with 87 posts.

19-May-2009, 04:32 AM #3
all cables are clear and tidy
Computer Specs
Member with 3,096 posts.

20-May-2009, 02:50 AM #4
When it freezes does do the graphics go all messed up and you have to reboot?

My initial thought, as soon as i saw you were using an 8800GT, is a heat problem. There are (or at least were) fairly widespread problems with the 8800GT when using stock coolers.

I would suggest going to the NVidia website and downloading a free utility called NTune and install it. Just use the Search box in to top right and search for NTune.

This is an add on utility to the NVidia drivers which gives you much greater control over the card (including overclocking but you don't have to do it).

When you have installed it go to you NVidia control panel and you should see more options down the left side. One of the options, when you click on it, will bring up an EULA (End User License Agreement) accept that and the options will become available. This is where you can do overclocking but you can also manually control the fan speed of the GPU cooler. About half way down the page you should see the fan speed controls, it will likely be set to automatic. Before you start up the game change it to manual and set the fan speed to around 80%-90% on the slider bar. This will increase noise slightly but will tell you if it is a heat problem because if the game runs fine with the fan up higher then its keeping it cooler and stopping it crashing.

I had this problem with my 8800GT and changing the fan speed solved it and it never crashed again. In the end I bought an after market cooler for the GPU and fitted that and have never looked back.
Member with 87 posts.

20-May-2009, 03:07 AM #5
Hi, i seem to have fix the problem. i moved my pc away from the mains and my ditial free view box. it hasn`t crashed yet.
when it crash the screen would just freeze and i wouldn`t be able to use anything on my pc at all, just had to reboot all the time.
also i think there is a problem with the new nvidia driver, when i install it it only give me up to 60 on my refresh rate for my screen, which is odd coz all the other driver give me 85 which is what my screen can take.

anyway thanks for the help, but i think it is fixed. i will keep in mind what you have said about over heating tho i don`t think thats it. my pc has 7 fans going all the time.
thanks again

20-May-2009, 03:20 AM #6
Why don't you try to see the Video card's fan if it's not being bumped by any wire and it's clean.

20-May-2009, 03:26 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by markshim View Post
Hi, i seem to have fix the problem. i moved my pc away from the mains and my ditial free view box. it hasn`t crashed yet.
when it crash the screen would just freeze and i wouldn`t be able to use anything on my pc at all, just had to reboot all the time.
also i think there is a problem with the new nvidia driver, when i install it it only give me up to 60 on my refresh rate for my screen, which is odd coz all the other driver give me 85 which is what my screen can take.

anyway thanks for the help, but i think it is fixed. i will keep in mind what you have said about over heating tho i don`t think thats it. my pc has 7 fans going all the time.
thanks again
Well then good luck alright also http://securityblogs.systemsecurityi...te.org/node/10 read this it might be related with your problem
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!