Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slow Dowload speeds for WoW

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

22-Jul-2009, 01:10 AM #1
Slow Dowload speeds for WoW
Every time I've downloaded World of Warcraft (or any other game) online, it's been slow. I've had the same wireless connection since I started playing the game, and it's always been slow. But I thought that this was normal, until I read something where someone was COMPLAINING because downloading WoW and TBC, including patches, took 1 hour, while some patches took my over 12 hours. I tried downloading WoW at a friends house, and it downloaded literally 10 times faster than mine.

I checked my download speed on http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and I got an 800kbs while my brother played World of Warcraft on his computer in the next room. Right now I'm downloading WoTLK at 60kbs. The most I've ever gotten downloading any WoW program is 90kbs, and I was super duper happy about that. My internet runs fast, I can load websites and flash programs quickly, and I don't download music slowly, so why is this taking me so long, and can I fix it?

I run Vista, but I had the same problem on XP.
This is my first question, so my apologies if I made some type of mistake in the way I asked it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,727 posts.

22-Jul-2009, 10:23 PM #2
Welcome to TSG!.

As for WoW.. It's Blizzards problem. For some reason their programmers thought we (the players) can't be trusted with a P2P transfer. The blizzard downloader has no upload limiter. So it will often try to upload as fast as it can, however anyone that's used a P2P program knows this can kill your download. It simply "floods" your connection. If your only using the direct download, that will be limited to a set speed, so many people can use it at the same time. Could also be background programs, like an antivirus that is scanning all information, there by slowing down the transfer.

Just for fun I tried a network limiter program on a large WoW patch. Limited my upload to 14Ks.. Got it half the time it was taking without a limit.
So.. Either we need to live with it, or get another program just to keep Blizzard in check.

You mentioned any game? From web sites? That is usually the site limiting transfer speeds so that everyone has a chance to download at any time.

My $.02 on it anyway.. Might be other factors, but those are some of them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
slow download, wow

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!