Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Netbooks for ONLINE Games?

(!)

Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jul-2009, 12:33 PM #1
Question Netbooks for ONLINE Games?
I'm looking for recommendations and/or advice on netbooks mainly for playing online games. My research all seems to point at traveling with your netbook which is not relevant to my needs.

Said needs are:
  • Will be plugged in to a wall for power at all times
  • Will probably be operating on our LAN at home, wireless if possible
  • Will be used for online games at Yahoo, Alawar, NewGrounds, etc.
  • Will be used for some games I own from PopCap (not sure on this)
  • Will be used to surf blogs/boards
  • Will be used to update Google Docs
  • Will be priced around $200

While it seems pretty simple, all I want is a cheap, easy computer to lay in bed and play games while I listen to audiobooks, the reviews and rec's I've seen don't really apply to such laziness. Hopefully you guys can point me in a good direction!
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

25-Jul-2009, 01:16 PM #2
Netbooks at the $200 price point will be very small. If you haven't seen an 8.9" screen, I suggest you physically look at one before buying. It's small. Depending on the game, it could be a deal-breaker.

I don't know why you'd want it plugged in all the time. One of the major benefits of a netbook is portability. Some run as long as 8 hours on battery.
iRemedy iRemedy is offline iRemedy has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 45 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Jul-2009, 11:41 PM #3
A netbook will be able to satisfy all of those requirements, although the screen size is small, you wont be able to get a bigger one then around 9" for the price range you are look at (new)

these are the cheapest new ones with a good size scree n (10.1") your are prolly going to find
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0%20-%20%24300

here is a link to ones in your pricerange
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-...208351997.html

for 200.00 and the max bang for your buck, the alternative, is to buy one off ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jul-2009, 01:24 PM #4
Exclamation Free games
Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sHeidi View Post
I'm looking for recommendations and/or advice on netbooks mainly for playing online games. My research all seems to point at traveling with your netbook which is not relevant to my needs.

One day I sat at my PC, surf the web. I searched on google and I found something to really great. The newest and most exciting site with online games: http://www.freegamingnow.com. Try and you'll see. Everything is free. A total of 31 games for all ages: Clash'N slash, Chess, Darts, Poker, Puzzle, or various others of its kind. There is also a toolbar, as a free gift, with shortcuts for games, radio, weather anywhere in the world, and more. Indeed amazing. Everyone should try it. Play free high quality games and watch your favorite videos today! Do not miss out, everything is free of charge. Go to play together on the net. You'll be amazed!

_________
Free Games

Last edited by green1706; 29-Jul-2009 at 03:09 AM..
DerekC has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 1,705 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 02:34 AM #5
I would say it depends on the games. Netbooks are not gaming machines. I have no problems playing older games like Neverwinter Nights, or Diablo 2 on my Asus EEE PC 900HA. Even though the specs say it will support Wow, I wouldn't try it. Flash games or Popcap games shouldn't be a problem.
Member with 355 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 07:31 AM #6
Computer Specs
Member with 115 posts.

29-Jul-2009, 04:59 PM #7
You may want to invest in a larger screen. 8-9" screens are very tiny, and a lot of people find the small keyboard size hard to work with. Since you seem to be using it as a home computer, you don't need the netbook's biggest draw - ultraportability, but you're sacrificing almost every aspect of a computer (specs, size, comfort, screen size, resolution...) for it.

I recommend going to a computer store and seeking out their smaller netbooks and asking to mess around with one for a few minutes (if they're not turned on for display anyway). They're smaller than they sound.

I don't know your financial situation, how pressing the need for a new computer is, or how much you're willing/able to save and spend on a computer, but it may be worth it to save a hundred or two more and look at cheap full-size laptops. Decent ones with specs suitable for what you want it for are only 100-200 more than you said already, and you will definately appreciate the larger screen and keyboard and better specs.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!