Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Sims 3 error message

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2009, 04:05 PM #1
Solved: Sims 3 error message
I recently installed the Sims 3, and all appeared to be fine. However, when i click on the shortcut icon, this error message pops up:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sims3Launcher.exe - Application Error [x]

{x} The instruction at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at 0x00000010". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

[ OK ] [ Cancel ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter which one I click, nothing seems to happen.
My question is, how do I fix this error?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 06:51 AM #2
Are you sure you meet the minimum system requirements for the game? Use http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest to find out... Post both minimum and recommended results...
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 06:27 PM #3
I think the problem might be bigger than that. When trying to download/install the 'system requirements lab' test, an error message would flash quickly before switching to "now downloading", after which nothing happened.

After trying a few other things, I don't think I can install anything, including the new Adobe Flash Player.

I ran Malwarebytes', but it didn't catch anything but a Trojan.Vundo.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Sims 3 error message-errormessage.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 07:58 PM #4
After doing some basic research, it would appear that the trojan.vundo (specifically infecting "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MS Track System") is a big problem on many people's computers. A post on this website said that Combofix was the best tool to remove it. Where should I go from here?

Last edited by policeinabottle; 03-Aug-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 08:06 PM #5
I would go to the Security and HJT forum, Malware Removal etc part. They will take some time posting back, they really are busy. Post your thread, wait a day or two, if you don't get replies, Bump the thread, repeat... Let's hope it gets answered fast..
Fresh install of Windows would be the absolutely simplest option though..
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 08:13 PM #6
How difficult will a fresh install of Windows be? More importantly, I suppose, are there any major risks?

Also, I am attaching a HJT log, in case that will help.
Attached Files
File Type: log hijackthis.log (14.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by policeinabottle; 03-Aug-2009 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: added question
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 08:29 PM #7
I have no idea how to decipher the HJT logs...
Looking fast thru it, I can only find C:\Program Files\WOT\WOT.dll as something potentially harmful, along with several useless resource hog startup items. (Reader_sl, iTunesHelper, GoogleToolbarNotifier, AppleMobileDeviceService, etc... Won't list them all, my eyes are pretty strained (3:30 AM))
Anyways, fresh install of Windows basically deletes everything you have on your system drive. You must (should, at least) backup any important data you have on your hard drive before doing this. There are no real risks, as long as you have your system restore disks or the like handy.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 08:40 PM #8
At this point, a fresh install sounds like my best option. I'll go ahead and post the HJT log in the ''Security and HJT Forum''.

What are system restore disks?
Is the backing up of data done with an external device or internally?

Thank you so much for your help. This site seems to be extremely trustworthy and helpful.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

03-Aug-2009, 09:46 PM #9
You can back up your data to any storage media that's not the system drive you're using. It can be an external hard drive, another internal hard drive, a crapload of CDs, DVDs, flash drives, whichever you get most conveniently and enough of.
System restore disks are disks that come with a factory-built computer and can be used to reinstall the original installation of windows onto the computer in case you ever need to do, like you.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

08-Aug-2009, 09:58 PM #10
After much looking into, it appears that the icon on my desktop for the Sims 3 actually links to something called "Sims3Launcher.exe". If it is in anyway similar to the Sims 2, the Sims 3 Launcher is a box that you click to start the game. Prett-y unnesseccary, so i re-routed the shortcut to the actual game file.

And it worked!
This was a big relief, essentially meaning I did not just blow 50 bucks.

Still, I can't install anything from online, so for now sites like Youtube are useless to me. I think I'll still do the fresh install of Windows.

QUESTION:
Besides documents and programs that I would like to keep for sentimental and entertainement value, is there anything else I need to back up?
Member with 30 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 01:47 AM #11
try to reinstall it
Member with 30 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 04:21 AM #12
After trying a few other things, I don't think I can install anything, including the new Adobe Flash Player.

Computer Specs
Member with 6,922 posts.

09-Aug-2009, 03:28 PM #13
Besides documents and programs, you don't really need to backup anything. For your convenience, you'll want to download drivers and other useful and necessary utilities for your hardware onto the same external media that the other backupped things are on.
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

15-Aug-2009, 12:22 PM #14
Sorry I haven't responded in a while, but I am now getting help removing the malware/viruses from my computer in that section of TechSupportGuy. Since a reinstallation is a last resort, I'm waiting to see if the issue can still be resolved. Thank you for advice so far!
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

19-Aug-2009, 11:50 AM #15
the HJT forum has removed a few viruses, but in the end they sent me back here to fix the installing problems.

When I try to install Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Installer, I get the messsage, "failed to install", even after running the Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller and restarting.

I can, however, install the Adobe Flash Player Plugin Installer.

I'm also having troubles with quicktime.

I'm trying to save reintsalling Windows until the very last step possible.
Any ideas on what might be wrong?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!