Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot connect to game server Half life 1

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 68 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Nov-2009, 04:39 PM #1
Exclamation Cannot connect to game server Half life 1
Hey!
Whenever i play a game thats based off the Half-life 1 engine on steam, it would never let me connect to the game server. When it is stuck on "connecting to game server" im pretty much screwed because, i cannot cancel the joining process or exit the game. I would have to start up task manager, and end the "Hl" process in order of me to get out of it.
The weird thing is, the server would sometimes connect randomly (When this happends i can connect to any game while steam is running for the whole day) and i have no problem with Source games. Ive also noticed when its not going to connect to the game sever there isn`t an advert (like the left 4 dead one) but when it does connect there is.
Yes, my copy of the game is legit.
Anti virus:
Windows defender, windows firewall, Norton 360, Spybot Search and destroy.
Things i have tried:
-I have tried deleting the registry.blob file quite a number of times now, but doesnt really work.
- Tried uninstalling and reinstallin, no dice.
- tried Steam troubleshooting dont work
- tried disabling all firewalls but still dont work (Windows firewall and Norton)
- Tried port forwarding too (though not too sure if i have done it correctly)
- Some people say "Try deleting Internet download manager" fixed it for a few but, i dont even have it.
So please, it would be greatly appreciated if i can have some help with this!
Thanks for reading

Last edited by urban maniac; 09-Nov-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Account Closed with 18 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Nov-2009, 01:43 AM #2
I am not sure about this but maybe the server is using an older version? or sometimes when you use illegal programs such as hacks...etc.

I have tried using hacks on an illegal version of TF2 and the same problem happened but if i use it without hacks it works fine.
Member with 395 posts.

11-Nov-2009, 07:06 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban maniac View Post
Hey!
Whenever i play a game thats based off the Half-life 1 engine on steam, it would never let me connect to the game server. When it is stuck on "connecting to game server" im pretty much screwed because, i cannot cancel the joining process or exit the game. I would have to start up task manager, and end the "Hl" process in order of me to get out of it.
The weird thing is, the server would sometimes connect randomly (When this happends i can connect to any game while steam is running for the whole day) and i have no problem with Source games. Ive also noticed when its not going to connect to the game sever there isn`t an advert (like the left 4 dead one) but when it does connect there is.
Yes, my copy of the game is legit.
Anti virus:
Windows defender, windows firewall, Norton 360, Spybot Search and destroy.
Things i have tried:
-I have tried deleting the registry.blob file quite a number of times now, but doesnt really work.
- Tried uninstalling and reinstallin, no dice.
- tried Steam troubleshooting dont work
- tried disabling all firewalls but still dont work (Windows firewall and Norton)
- Tried port forwarding too (though not too sure if i have done it correctly)
- Some people say "Try deleting Internet download manager" fixed it for a few but, i dont even have it.
So please, it would be greatly appreciated if i can have some help with this!
Thanks for reading
Hi urban maniac,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The first problem I see with you security setup is that you could be having a software conflict. Norton 360 is a comprehensive security package that also contains the Norton Firewall, which is a full, inbound and outbound firewall unlike the Windows Firewall. You should disable both the Windows Firewall and the Windows Defender software, as you never want to have more than one firewall and one real-time antivirus/internet security application running at the same time. As for SpyBot, you can leave that application installed but you must make sure that the "Tea Timer" and "Sd Helper Function" are disabled, as they can cause conflicts with Norton 360 and leave your system vulnerable to threats.

After you stop the Windows Firewall and Defneder and enable the Norton Firewall, manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest updates applied. The next step would be to add the executable for the game you are playing to the Norton Firewall, and allow both incoming and outgoing access.

Please try this out and let me know if you need additional assistance with Norton 360.

Thank you,
Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!