Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Running Starship Titanic on Windows 7

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

16-Nov-2009, 08:41 AM #1
Lightbulb Running Starship Titanic on Windows 7
Hi - this is not so much a question, as an answer to anyone who wants to run this old - but excellent - game on their Windows 7 system.

After upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, I have been getting Direct X errors and BAD MEM POINTER (Smartheap library) errors when launching the game.

Here's how I got it to work:

I patched the game to version 1.0.42.3 as per the ST website.

I replaced ICCVID.dll Cinepak codec to version 1.10.0.11 as per the XP compatibility solution on the official Starship Titanic website FAQ.

I replaced SH33W32.dll (Smartheap library) with version 4.0.0.0 - you will need to Google it to find a download source - this has become necessary since I upgraded Vista to Windows 7

I right-clicked st.exe and chose Properties-Compatibility. I ticked "Run this program as an administrator" and chose "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista"

Hey presto - it works now!

I hope this is of use to anyone else out there with similar problems.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

29-Nov-2009, 10:27 AM #2
Unhappy .dll download source
Hi Johnny,
thanks for the post on running Starship Titanic on Windows 7.

I have spent the past hour searching for a download source for sh33w32.dll version 4.0.0.0

Any suggestions?

Bwill.

29-Nov-2009, 07:25 PM #3
Try here:

http://www.filewatcher.com/m/sh33w32...12672.0.0.html

Choose the 2002 version of the file

Hope this helps - let me know

30-Nov-2009, 09:43 AM #4
Fentible is back!
Thanks again Johnny, Starship Titanic is up and running.
I can now get switch off my old XP machine.

For anyone else trying this, you need to replace ISSVID.dll and sh33w32.dll in the Starship Titanic folder (in C:\Program Files\. . )
NOT in C:Windows\system !

Bwill.

01-Dec-2009, 06:58 AM #5
Starship Titanic Forever!
Your welcome, Bwill - glad to see you're out of your Spontaneous Total Existence Failure.

After so much head-scratching, I was so pleased with myself for getting it fixed I just had to share. I'm pleased to be able to help in prolonging the life of this brilliant game. Marsinta's vitriolic approach to customer service deserves to be preserved for future generations, I think!

Thanks for clarifying that the files in question (ICCVID.dll and sh33w32.dll) need to be modified inside the C:\Program Files (x86)\The Digital Village\Starship Titanic\ folder - I forgot to mention that!

I would recommend to anyone that they make backup copies of the game patch and the above DLLs as we are very lucky that the www.starshiptitanic.com site still exists at all- who knows for how much longer?

I'm puzzled as to why compatibility for VISTA worked, rather than for Windows 98 or XP - maybe it likes the new smartheap library better, or it disables DirectX 11 or something - anyway the thing is, IT WORKS!

I'd be grateful if anyone could find a way around having to run the game as an administrator though- my son and daughter are really into the game now, and it's a bit inconvenient for them to have me type my admin password every time they want to play!

It seems the "virtual Zimmer frame" we have to build around this crumbly old game is getting bigger all the time with each Windows "up" (?) grade.

Of course, Douglas Adams himself would probably be looking down on us now, thinking "Should have bought a Mac in the first place, you fools!"

All the best

Johnny
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jan-2010, 12:03 AM #6
I tried all this, and yet I still can't get it to work. I get an error message that says "st.exe - Application Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application." I click OK, and it closes. Any suggestions or DLL files I missed? Any help I can get is greatly appreciated; I LOVE this game and enjoy showing it off to my friends.

07-Jan-2010, 11:17 AM #7
Starship Titanic Files and folders
Hi Zwolf,

Not sure if I can help, but here are the contents of my Starship Titanic directory, in C:\Program Files\..\

Folder - Assets
Folder - Save Games
Folder - Web
ICCVID.DLL 06/11/1995 90KB
MFC42.DLL 19/06/1996 988KB
MSVCIRT.DLL 22/01/1997 69KB
MSVCRT.DLL 20/12/1996 260KB
newgame.st 25/03/1998 86KB
Qmixer.dll 21/10/1997 133KB
ReadMe.txt 25/03/1998 11KB
sh33w32.dll 31/11/2009 111KB
st.exe 27/08/1998 4,003KB
STStartUp.txt 04/01/2010 3KB
Uninst.isu 09/12/2009 90KB

Have you applied the correct patch? The version on my CD was 1.00.42b, so I needed the b-to-c patch, not a-to-c.

Bwill.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2010, 05:03 PM #8
ok, I've attached a screenshot of my ST directory. I noticed mine's a little different... did I do something wrong?
I also have the b version and applied the correct patch.
Attached Thumbnails
Running Starship Titanic on Windows 7-st-directory.jpg  

08-Jan-2010, 08:15 AM #9
Old .dll to blame?
Hi Zwolf,

Looks like you still have the original (unworking) version of SH33W32.DLL from 1997 in your folder.

First, right-click and delete SH33W32.DLL from the folder. We will be replacing it with a new version.

Then click this link: ftp://ftp.mackichan.com/download/sh33w32.dll

Opt to SAVE the file, then navigate to the Program Files....\ Starship Titanic folder and click SAVE.

Alternatively, save the file to your documents folder, then right click and copy the file, then navigate to your Starship Titanic folder and right click and paste it there. That way you will still have a backup copy in your documents folder.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Johnny.

08-Jan-2010, 09:51 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Keys View Post
Looks like you still have the original (unworking) version of SH33W32.DLL from 1997
I meant "non-working" version !!!! I think my cellpoint settings were incorrectly adjusted.

Johnny

08-Jan-2010, 01:15 PM #11
Hi Zwolf, Johnny beat me to the conclusion about SH33W32.dll
Updating this file should do the trick. Can you help me out by explaining how you posted the image of directory contents? I did a screen capture, but could not figure out to insert the .jpg file - the system wanted an http address. So I had to resort to typing the contents! Bwill.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2010, 04:30 PM #12
Thanks for your help, guys! I got it working, except for the fact that it didn't give me the option to load a saved game. Oh well, it's not that big a deal.

As for posting a .jpg or any other acceptable file, simply click the arrow to the right of the paperclip icon above the message entry field, and it brings up a dialog box. In the field labeled "Upload File from your Computer", click "Browse" and select the file to upload in the dialog box, click "Open", then "Upload" in the original box.

09-Jan-2010, 12:12 PM #13
Hi Zwolf - I don't think you will get the option to load a saved game until you have started from scratch, played and saved a game - you can't reload a saved game from a previous installation of the program (e.g under XP)

Thanks for your help with adding a file. The trick is to use advanced mode. Quick reply only allows URLs to address an image. Advanced mode lets you browse your computer.

We live and learn.

Bwill.
Attached Thumbnails
Running Starship Titanic on Windows 7-quick-reply.jpg   Running Starship Titanic on Windows 7-advanced-reply.jpg  
Computer Specs

09-Jan-2010, 01:01 PM #14
Ah, that could be it, then. My saved game was under the b version, so now I need to start one on the c version. Thanks for all your help.

Also, thanks for specifying that the attach icon is in the advanced editor, not the quick-reply one. I forgot about that.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2010, 08:21 PM #15
Ok, so I fell like a n00b, but i attempted to reconfigure the *.dll's in the Starship Titanic folder, but I still get black screens where animations should be. I made sure that all the files matched the specs you gave on the original post, and I also configured the 'properties' to run Vista compatibility and to run as administrator, but still no luck. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
error, smartheap, st.exe, starship titanic, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!