Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need help to recover data from previous PS3 HDD.

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Dec-2009, 05:07 PM #1
Need help to recover data from previous PS3 HDD.
Okay, my old PS3 broke and I bought a new 250 Gb PS3. Now I need to get my savegames back from my broken PS3's HDD. The old HDD is fine and I even got an enclosure to plug it with a USB cable.

But when I hook it up to the new PS3 to copy my savegames, it's not detected by the new PS3.

Is there any way to make my new PS3 detect this old HDD or even make my PC detect this HDD so that I can recover my old save games?
My old PS3 doesn't even boot so I can't go back to grab my saves with a USB Flash Drive : P

Help is appreciated ^_^
Thanks!
Junior Member with 12 posts.

23-Dec-2009, 05:26 AM #2
Unfortunately there is no way to get your saves back. The only thing you can do is complain to Sony. They made it so every hard drive needs to be formatted to play on another PS3.
Computer Specs

23-Dec-2009, 10:16 AM #3
Well, I guess the only way to get my data back is to pay 170$ to have a guy repair the PS3 (Without replacing the whole system) temporarily to get my saves back... : P
Thanks for the info! ^_^
Junior Member with 12 posts.

23-Dec-2009, 03:29 PM #4
well, before you do that you should tell me what is wrong with it?
If you got the yellow light of death it is a easy temporary fix. And sony actually does it for 150.
Computer Specs
Member with 448 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Dec-2009, 08:03 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaPhilX View Post
Okay, my old PS3 broke and I bought a new 250 Gb PS3. Now I need to get my savegames back from my broken PS3's HDD. The old HDD is fine and I even got an enclosure to plug it with a USB cable.

But when I hook it up to the new PS3 to copy my savegames, it's not detected by the new PS3.

Is there any way to make my new PS3 detect this old HDD or even make my PC detect this HDD so that I can recover my old save games?
My old PS3 doesn't even boot so I can't go back to grab my saves with a USB Flash Drive : P

Help is appreciated ^_^
Thanks!
No, but you should be able to hook the drive up to a USB port on a PC and transfer the saves to a thumb drive that way. Then just use the thumb drive on the PS3 to transfer the saves back onto the other drive.
Computer Specs
Member with 448 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jan-2010, 08:54 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley8425 View Post
No, but you should be able to hook the drive up to a USB port on a PC and transfer the saves to a thumb drive that way. Then just use the thumb drive on the PS3 to transfer the saves back onto the other drive.
ETA: Sorry I forgot but if this is the original HDD from the other PS3 there is no way to recover saves from it because of the propietary format of the drive. Any drive formatted by a PS3 is unreadable except on the PS3 it was formatted on. It can not be read on any other PS3 or even a PC. (There are some rumors that Linux will read it with some addons but I doubt it since the format encrypts the info on the drive as well.) For some reason I was thinking you had backed these up on an external. Unfortunately the HDD is tied to the old PS3 and will not work in any others without having to be formatted first. This is a security implementation put in place by Sony to prevent piracy. Unless you backed up the saves to an external, I'm afraid you're more than likely hosed. Sorry.

If it's any consolation I had just upgraded my drive to a 500GB and lost my Linux partition. Unfortunately Sony's backup and restore utility will only restore the PS3 partition and if you format the drive beforehand to include a partition for Linux you are unable to restore any DRM content to the drive.

I'm hoping at some point Sony will address some of these issues but it's probably a lost cause.
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2010, 11:38 AM #7
Thanks for the info ^_^
I backed up my saves on a Flash Drive at some point but I guess I lost my more recent saves : P Well... : P
I've bought a new external drive and I've created a FAT32 partition on it just for the purpose of backuping my PS3 data now ( :

Thanks again for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ps3 hdd copy playstation

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!