Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Games Games
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Facebook Games Bandwith Usage

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Mar-2011, 01:19 AM #1
Facebook Games Bandwith Usage
Hello,

Simple question to answer what I'm sure I already know.

Do facebook games such as Mafia Wars, Farmville, or Frontierville, use up bandwith from your Internet Provider?

We are on a limited plan and one person in the house watches like 3 youtube videos a day, the other plays frontierville for a few hours 2 approximately each day, and there is probably 100 pages of general viewing on facebook or other standard webpages such as a forum board.

Does the playing of the facebook games affect the bandwith and if so, how much would you say for about 2 hours of play a day?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,277 posts.

16-Mar-2011, 03:55 AM #2
Anything you do online will transfer data which will use up some of your data limit if you are on a limit. However, for the type of activity you describe above I would be very surprised if you even came close to the limit (unless it is an incredibly small limit).

99.9% of the time people with download limits won't even come close, those most likely to are online gamers (full games not web based ) and/or people that do alot of downloading (a few youtube videos a day is by no means alot).

What is your download limit? In UK many providers work on around 40Gb per month, your useage wouldn't even come close to that I doubt.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Mar-2011, 06:16 AM #3
We have a secured or password protected wireless internet connection in a town of 1500 people in Iowa, and they are claiming we are using over 1 GB of bandwidth usage a day. 15 GB used in 15 days.

Even if I left my facebook page on all day sitting there while I'm at work, I don't see how it can use 1 GB a day. Watch less than 10 youtube videos each day, watch 1 hulu tv show a night IF that, a relative plays Frontierville for 2 to 3 hours nightly, and the rest is just standard surfing for a few hours a day, max 3 to 5 hours total as a group. NO Downloading of music, movies, or anything, yet they claim we are using over 1 GB a day. We have a 10 GB limit for a month, completely ridiculous.

My zip code is 50020 and I'm wondering if I can get a dish and unlimited internet with ANYONE, HELP!!!
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

16-Mar-2011, 09:01 PM #4
it's quite possible for the facebook games to use a small bandwidth... but not 1GB a day...

either someone must have a program in the background... check for programs like uTorrent, BitTorrent, Azerus, etc or any media program that is streaming music, or a computer is sending data in the background. your ISP should see this usage on the modem directly.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!