Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ssl and tls

(!)

Member with 46 posts.

02-Jul-2011, 08:51 AM #1
ssl and tls
Do I need ssl 2.0, ssl 3.0 and tls 1.0 all enabled in my Internet Options--Advanced folder? I know they are concerned with security but after googling them, I wondered. Did tls replace ssl?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,540 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jul-2011, 09:24 AM #2
You didn't mention which version of Internet Explorer you're using.

I have IE8 in my Windows XP computer and IE9 in my Windows 7 computers.

By default, "Use SSL 3.0" and "Use TLS 1.0" are selected.

"Use SSL 2.0" and "Use TLS 1.1" and "Use TLS 1.2" are unchecked.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

Experience: Einstein
02-Jul-2011, 10:04 AM #3
TLS did not replace SSL. However, you can view SSL 3.0 as the ground building for TLS 1.0. TLS was never truly designed to replace SSL, it was more of a Windows Server 2003 thing. This is funny as some people refer to TSL as SSL 3.1.

They are both strong encryption protocols and I would have to type a long explanation to truly explain the difference (If you want more info Try Google-> TLS vs SSL). Just know what when turning on SSL and TLS you are ensuring that you browser configurations are compatible with the server you are connecting to.

In the future you can except TLS to take over, that just my opinion.
Member with 46 posts.

03-Jul-2011, 07:18 AM #4
I have 5 different choices....SSL 2.0 (checked), SSL 3.0 (checked), TLS 1.0 (unchecked), TLS 1.1 (unchecked), and TLS 1.2 (unchecked)
Can I uncheck SSL 2.0 and check TLS 1.2?
Mary
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

03-Jul-2011, 09:53 AM #5
I would leave them all checked, you will not hurt your system, this will help ensure that your browser is compatible with a secure system that may possibly be using a older version. You choice. However, if you do run into issues because they are not checked, then I will go back check them, and restart your browser then try again.
Member with 5,654 posts.

03-Jul-2011, 06:31 PM #6
If the Wikipedia article on this subject can be relied on, SSL 2.0 is so out of date it shouldn't even be available as an option; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security. Quote from Wikipedia;

"SSL 2.0 is disabled by default in Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla Firefox 2, Mozilla Firefox 3, Mozilla Firefox 4 Opera and Safari. After it sends a TLS ClientHello, if Mozilla Firefox finds that the server is unable to complete the handshake, it will attempt to fall back to using SSL 3.0 with an SSL 3.0 ClientHello in SSL 2.0 format to maximize the likelihood of successfully handshaking with older servers. Support for SSL 2.0 (and weak 40-bit and 56-bit ciphers) has been removed completely from Opera as of version 9.5." [Obviously, the browser version numbers mentioned are now out of date]

In my Opera browser (11.5), SSL 3 and TLS 1 are checked by default while TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are available but unchecked. In Firefox (5) there are only SSL 3 and TLS 1 available and both are checked by default.
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

03-Jul-2011, 07:35 PM #7
The reason why I said you should have SSL 2.0 active, is because some Military and other government websites require SSL 2.0. (the reason, I am not sure) If you have no reason for that, then you can follow what TOGG said.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,540 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2011, 07:21 AM #8
I guess that explains why SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 are the only 2 checked by default in IE8 and IE9 in my Windows XP and Windows 7 computers.

You never stop learning something new about these machines.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 46 posts.

05-Jul-2011, 07:35 AM #9
Thanks for the great explanations. I was afraid that I should have or have not something checked or not checked (if you get what I mean). I'll leave things the way they were.
You guys are great. I try not to do anything of any importance without checking with someone and "You da man"
Mary
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!