Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Apple Vs. PC (virus protection)

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 01:57 AM #1
Apple Vs. PC (virus protection)
I am a pc guy but i really want a apple. I have a old dell. I was thinking about just getting a old mac powerbook because they are very cheap and pretty much offer the same "virus protection" a macbook would, correct? And im pretty sure it has to be better than a old dell laptop. My whole thing is, what are the absolute best virus protection softwares for the PC that would offer a apple like protection against virus' because if im not mistaken most softwares only target specifics (adware,malware,etc). i have/had avast, avg, malware bytes, spybot, etc and somehow they still aren't enough, maybe because theyre freeware. im interested in people's take on this. I like mac's but if i could have a apple like virus protection for a pc, I would take the pc. I know mac's are not "virus proof" but surfing the web seems like so much more of a breeze when im on a mac then a pc. what do you guys think?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,596 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 06:10 PM #2
I can't understand why surfing with a Mac offers a better experience. Browsers are browsers, they have a back and forward button, an address bar and maybe a search box. If you like Safari, you can install that on your PC.

Applie drops support for older Macs without much announcement. They don't publish an end-of-life notice for their stuff. When you find you can't download from them the latest Safari or whatever, that means the OS has reached end-of-life.

If you find that you are getting more viruses than usual, you'd want to question where you get your downloads from. P2P and torrents are major sources of viruses, backdoors etc. Maybe you have a favored release crew, but you can't verify that the download is from them, and that it hasn't been modified. It is the easiest way for hackers to own machines because people download their wares and run it with admin rights ( to install the software ). The program will probably run correctly, but you'll also get infected. The viruses found from torrents are newer and few anti-virus programs can catch them all. The most you can do is upload the file to virustotal.com and let their 40 anti-virus programs do a scan and then decide whether to keep the file.

You might want to give Linux a try. Ubuntu is a popular one. And most Linux distributions run good on older hardware. There aren't much viruses for Linux, and it might satisfy your requriement. Being open-source and community driven, there are lots of help on the web about problems you will encounter.

Last edited by lunarlander; 05-Jul-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jul-2012, 07:30 PM #3
Hey Mondo23
From what I understand Apple PCs/tablets ect are becoming more of a target for hackers, viruses and trojans as they have become more popular. Like Lunarlander says you have to watch what you down load. You need to keep your OS updated regularly and other programs on your PC like flash, java ect as your protections no good if you haven't patched against 0 day vulnerabilities. You could try using a good antivirus along side Mbam pro and to be extra cautious use Sandboxie. Surf the net not using admin rights. You may also want to turn things like file sharing, printer sharing, network discovery, remote registry, remote access ect off if your not using them.
Member with 4 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 08:27 PM #4
i hear quite a bit about ubuntu and linux. i think i heard that they are command orientated. Is that true? is there a newbie guide on how to install/use it? i think i might buy a old dell and give one of those a try sometime. I dont download torrents/warez. I do download a lot of music especially in todays music scene were a lot of music is free and you are downloading music from various sites of the different artist. what i mean by apple browsing is smoother to me is because I was using a macbook w/ some very good security settings and it never got caught up on ads, popups or being redirected and the pc even if you take preventive measures you still get caught up on those. im gonna give virustotal a look, are there more websites that do online scans?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,596 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 08:43 PM #5
Yes, Linux is command line oriented. But a lot can be accomplished with gui tools now. And it is getting friendlier with each release.

There are LiveCD's of Ubuntu which you can try. They boot up as a CD and offers the Ubuntu environment for you to try without installing.

What browser are you currently using? If you are using Firefox, there is an addon called Adblock Plus which removes ads from web pages. I haven't encountered redirection before, so I don't know what to say about that. What exactly does redirection do ?

Last edited by lunarlander; 06-Jul-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
07-Jul-2012, 03:50 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo23 View Post
i hear quite a bit about ubuntu and linux. i think i heard that they are command orientated. Is that true? is there a newbie guide on how to install/use it? i think i might buy a old dell and give one of those a try sometime. I dont download torrents/warez. I do download a lot of music especially in todays music scene were a lot of music is free and you are downloading music from various sites of the different artist. what i mean by apple browsing is smoother to me is because I was using a macbook w/ some very good security settings and it never got caught up on ads, popups or being redirected and the pc even if you take preventive measures you still get caught up on those. im gonna give virustotal a look, are there more websites that do online scans?
I've done a couple of DNS Changer removals on Macs, and there are newer and nastier examples of Mac malware around. In fact, Mac users are in some ways more at risk than PC users because they believe that they can't be infected (a belief Apple has tended to reinforce) and the fact that most Mac users consequently don't deploy AV protection. So, while there are fewer infection vectors for Macs, Mac owners are more poorly protected and more vulnerable because they don't think they can be infected, and so don't practice safe browsing habits. To top it off, OS X has essentially no internal safeguards to limit damage from an infection. MS is way ahead here after years of hard won experience.

I don't think I'd describe Linux as "command line oriented" anymore than I'd say that about a current Microsoft OS, or OS X. Some functions are done more easily and quickly from a command prompt, and some advanced functions require it. Again, that's also true of OS X and Windows.

Personally, I find the Mac interface to be more clunky, annoying, and counter-intuitive than either Windows or most Linux distributions. Ubuntu's Unity interface is really not a favorite, and if you try it and dislike it, take a look at Mint with the Cinnamon interface.
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jul-2012, 02:21 PM #7
Anti Virus Options
there are tons of good anti virus software like avg mcaffee and a bunch others go check out a website called ninite to see the different options there are. also for a good article and more information on virus removal and anti virus software check out virusgun.com good luck hope this was helpful
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!