Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Last chance to check for DNS Changer?

(!)

Member with 5,647 posts.

05-Jul-2012, 12:52 PM #1
Solved: Last chance to check for DNS Changer?
Most people that regularly visit TSG have probably already checked their systems, but this is a reminder that the FBI server currently dealing with traffic from computers that are still infected will be turned off next Monday, 9th July; http://www.h-online.com/security/new...y-1632475.html

Worrying to note that, as of two months ago, 20000 IP addresses in the UK alone were still attempting to use the faked server(s) and a story in the Eset Threatblog indicates that the USA, India, Germany, Italy and the UK were the worst affected countries;http://blog.eset.com/2012/07/05/fina...hanger-warning.

Something to mention to friends and family perhaps?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,411 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Jul-2012, 04:33 PM #2
Here is more reading about it that just appeared in my Tampa Bay area news:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news..._knock_th.html

---------------------------------------------------------
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
08-Jul-2012, 01:16 PM #3
The last numbers I read suggest that as many as 12% of the computers used in Fortune 500 companies are still infected with DNS Changer. So, just how confident do you feel about the security measures which sites that store your personal data use? After all, DNS Changer is old malware which is easy to remove, and should have been blocked a long, long time ago on any systems that were kept updated and patched. Our personal security measures aren't very effective if the institutional sites we use are roundheels.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

08-Jul-2012, 02:39 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
The last numbers I read suggest that as many as 12% of the computers used in Fortune 500 companies are still infected with DNS Changer.
I'd love to see a link to that story. I find it simply unbelievable. The number of affected computers is ridiculously small. I feel sorry for the ISP's who are going to see their call numbers spike when everyone and their brother mistakes common networking or broadband issues for this virus they heard about blasted on every news channel.

I agree with Dvorak. Anyone still infected with this thing after all this time shouldn't be on the Internet at all until they get their systems reinstalled and sit through an educational class.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406802,00.asp

08-Jul-2012, 03:02 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I'd love to see a link to that story. I find it simply unbelievable. The number of affected computers is ridiculously small. I feel sorry for the ISP's who are going to see their call numbers spike when everyone and their brother mistakes common networking or broadband issues for this virus they heard about blasted on every news channel.

I agree with Dvorak. Anyone still infected with this thing after all this time shouldn't be on the Internet at all until they get their systems reinstalled and sit through an educational class.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406802,00.asp
Here's your link: http://net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2168 Actually, I think you can find the same info on ZDNet and krebsonsecurity.com. While the number may be amazing, it shouldn't be unbelievable. Is there a week that goes by without a serious security breach at some web site, including financial services companies? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but many large companies are still largely clueless on cybersecurity issues.

08-Jul-2012, 03:10 PM #6
At first glance, a website run by some random people in Croatia is not a news source I would trust. Let me know if you find this story on a more mainstream, legitimate site. This is the article on ZDNet, and it doesn't mention this "12% of computers" statistic. It does say,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking...this-july/2332

"...according to IID (Internet Identity), a provider of technology and services that help organizations secure their Internet presence,94 of all Fortune 500 companies and three out of 55 major government entities still had at least one computer or router that was infected with DNSChanger in March. "

Be careful what you read and believe on the Internet. Anyone can create a website, declare themselves a legitimate news source, and post whatever they want.

08-Jul-2012, 03:25 PM #7
Fine. You can quibble about the numbers all you want. I don't want to argue with you any more than I want to discuss philosophy with my cat. All the same, looking at the figures SJVN reports, can you honestly say you aren't surprised? And maybe a bit disturbed?

08-Jul-2012, 11:25 PM #8
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,411 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Jul-2012, 08:57 AM #9
Quote:
I feel sorry for the ISP's who are going to see their call numbers spike when everyone and their brother mistakes common networking or broadband issues for this virus they heard about blasted on every news channel.
I checked my ISP this morning. The phone line is busy and the on-line chat tech support is seriously backlogged.

-----------------------------------------------------------

09-Jul-2012, 10:25 AM #10
It's 12% of Fortune 500 companies, not 12% of Fortune 500 computers. Details, details.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,904 posts.

09-Jul-2012, 10:07 PM #11
Was very slow here an hour or so, but it was like a overloud we have all seen many times.
Davec has a Photo Album
Gone but never forgotten with 4,435 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Jul-2012, 02:19 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
I don't want to argue with you any more than I want to discuss philosophy with my cat.
Why would you not wish to discuss philosophy with your cat?

10-Jul-2012, 10:07 PM #13
Quote:
It's 12% of Fortune 500 companies, not 12% of Fortune 500 computers. Details, details.
That's correct, but I was trying to remember a figure from an article or two I had read a couple of weeks previously. Frankly, I didn't pay as much attention as I should have to the raw numbers, since it was more of a curiosity than a concern. But, you don't seem to have read any of the related materials at all. Which surprises me. You complain about the source, but only know about the issue after the fact. Maybe, you need to read the trade press more?

10-Jul-2012, 10:10 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davec View Post
Why would you not wish to discuss philosophy with your cat?
My cat never has anything new to add to a discussion. He insists that life is all about sleep, food, and sex. How can you argue with a feline that's obviously right?

Last edited by Snagglegaster; 11-Jul-2012 at 03:00 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!