Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Microsoft Security Essentials : Is it the best which is available ?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Sep-2012, 11:08 AM #1
Question Solved: Microsoft Security Essentials : Is it the best which is available ?
I have been using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for a while and I haven't faced any problem with it yet.
I have been updating it regularly through Microsoft Windows Update Center (Which is accessed form the control panel).
I wan't to know that if it is one of the best Security softwares out there...
And, could anyone tell me that if it protects me from every threat ? Such as Adware, Trojan, SpyWare, etc...

I am asking this because I wan't the best Security software.

You can suggest me both : Paid and Free Security (Anti-Virus) softwares !

Thanks in advance,
Zero-Cool
Computer Specs
Member with 5,707 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 02:10 PM #2
According the wikipedia,
Quote:
Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is an anti-virus computer program that provides protection against different types of malware such as computer viruses, spyware, rootkits and Trojan horses.
There is no best security software. There are so many new malware being released everyday that security companies have a hard time capturing and analyzing so many of them. So one of the ways to evaluate security software is to find one that can best defend itself ( so that malware cannot bypass or turn it off ) so it can stay alive for another day and hope that new signatures will arrive to deal with the new malware. Fellow member "aka Brett" has done research on this and finds that ESET and Kaspersky tend to stay alive longer.

Besides antivirus and malware scanners, there is also a type of security software known as virtualization, chroot, or sandbox. For example, Sandboxie surrounds your browser so that it cannot make changes to your system, and all things downloaded or modified by your browser are confined to one folder. So you can decide to keep 1 download and wipe away all other changes by erasing that folder. http://www.sandboxie.com/ Another example is Returnil. This software lets you run your entire system in virtual space, and all changes are gone with a reboot. Returnil also allows you to define exceptions so that for example all changes to your 'document' folder are kept, whereas all other changes are erased. http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

If you want the best security, you can add a perimeter firewall with Unified Threat Management for your network of PCs. Like Sonicwall's TZ series. http://www.sonicwall.com/us/en/products/TZ_215.html It has intrusion prevention, gateway antivirus and antispyware, gateway URL blocking, and network technologies like wireless N, VPN and application traffic monitoring and control.

Last edited by lunarlander; 16-Sep-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 51 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Sep-2012, 09:30 PM #3
Thank You very much.
This has provided more details than any other sites.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
antivirus, free antivirus, paid, security

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!