Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

firewall turns itself off

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Oct-2007, 06:02 PM #1
firewall turns itself off
Hi there, I am operating off of an Acer Aspire 5610z with Windows Vista Home Premium. For an anti-virus program I use AVG free edition. My Windows firewall always turns itself off. Is there a reason for this? I always turn it back on and when I do there is a message saying: "Note: Two or more firewalls running at the same time can conflict with eachother." Is this the reason that my firewall turns off is because there is another one running? I don't think AVG has it's own firewall.
sup2a has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,351 posts.

Experience: Intermediate-Advanced
09-Oct-2007, 07:03 PM #2
well i gotta say ur gonna find it a little hard to find help with Windows Vista, one of the higher experience members earlier said he wouldnt think that AVG free would even work on Vista and most tech pple dont really use Vista (so far anyway) AVG could be causing conflict due to Vista but it does not have a firewall on the free a (at least mine doesn't) you have to pay for extras like that... if you have any other anitpyware or internet security programs they would be the problem... i might have known more but i dont know much about Vista at all sorry i couldn't be of more help hope you find a soulution
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 235 posts.

09-Oct-2007, 07:17 PM #3
Did your Acer come with security software?I installed AVG on my sister's laptop using Vista Home Premium and turned on the Vista firewall with no problems.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2007, 07:23 PM #4
It came with a type of security software but I don't think that comes with a firewall. I couldn't find one anyway
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2007, 07:29 PM #5
I just thought that a lot of the new computers sold these days came with internet security programs installed on them.These would probably be 90 days.I know the 2 i've seen in the last couple of days have Norton Internet Security on them.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2007, 08:13 PM #6
I checked the model you posted here on the Acer website.It's mentioned there that your notebook did come with Norton Internet Security installed.I think you should run the removal tool from their website because this will get rid of any leftovers.That's what i did for my sister.
Computer Specs

10-Oct-2007, 08:24 AM #7
Yeah I uninstalled Norton as soon as I got the computer because I hate Norton. I don't know what the problem ended up being but I ended up getting the paid version of AVG and now my computer works fine. Thanks for everyone's help though
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!