Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton vs. AVG

(!)

Member with 90 posts.

31-Oct-2007, 11:36 PM #1
Norton vs. AVG
I have both Norton Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Spyware (premium support version) running on my computer. Do I need them both? I continue to read that computer-knowledgable people prefer not to have Norton because of other issues it causes.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,091 posts.

Experience: The Baddest Noob :)
01-Nov-2007, 12:17 AM #2
Well I would not prefer Norton, I would recommend AVG Anti-virus free edtion.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
01-Nov-2007, 12:27 AM #3
I'm surprized that your machine runs at all with 2 AV's on it. Norton is famous for slowing things down all by itself.

I'd go with AVG. Though I don't know if it is still true that Norton only releases updates weekly (possibly leaving you vulnerable for 7 days while a new virus circulates), AVG updates many times a day when the threat-level is high and uses far fewer system resources. I think you'll find that in most comparisons, Norton does poorly. Besides all of that, Norton is the frequent target of attacks and is inactivated by many viruses. Norton's idea of patches and upgrades when they discover serious lapses is usually very simple: "Buy the next version."
Computer Specs
Member with 81 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Nov-2007, 01:39 AM #4
Norton has to be one of the worst programs out there . Had it on one of my computers and everything went through it . no problems with avg on one , and i use avast on the other which i have had good results with . both free . Norton is such a resource hog , wait till you see how much faster you run if you remove it . Google Norton removal tool and download it .
first remove it from add & remove programs , then run the tool , then do the following .
Now go to Start --> My Computer --> Program Files. Right click on each Symantec folder and select Delete.
While you are in Program Files go to the Common Files folder at or near the top of the Program Files window. Delete every Symantec folder there. And, again, restart your PC.
Go to Start --> Search --> All Files and Folders --> More Advanced Options. Check each option except for "Case sensitive"
Now type in Norton and delete each Norton folder from the search results (Again, right click, choose "Delete"). One more time, restart your PC.
Repeat step 5 except type Symantec in the "Search" box.
The next step is trickier: go into the Registry.
First thing to do is Back up the Registry. . But suffice it to say that the presence of uninstalled security software in the Registry can conflict with newly installed security software and cause system freezes. So can folders of "uninstalled" programs for that matter.
Once again, go to Start, then click on "Run". Type in "regedit"
Go to the top of the Regedit window. Click (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Go down the thread until you see Software. Click on Software and scroll down the thread until you see Symantec. Right click on Symantec and choose "Delete".
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, now: Click (+) next to Software, Click (+) next to Microsoft, Click (+) next to Windows and Click (+) next to CurrentVersion.
Select the Run folder. Right-click and delete each Symantec entry you see (if present). Restart your PC.
That should completely eradicate Norton Antivirus from your system!
Member with 90 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 03:08 PM #5
When following the steps you outlined, I could not delete the Symantec folder under the Common Files nor would my computer let me delete all the files I found when I did the "symantec" search.
Your thoughts?
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2007, 03:32 PM #6
Member with 90 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 03:59 PM #7
Thanks. This worked. Looks as if all Norton and Symantec files are removed. Are you recommending the free version of AVG vs. the subscription version? What's the difference?
Member with 40 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 04:02 PM #8
I can say that i had norton and i got some bad bugs and norton could not do nothing.It could not delete them or anything.
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2007, 04:08 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude
Thanks. This worked. Looks as if all Norton and Symantec files are removed. Are you recommending the free version of AVG vs. the subscription version? What's the difference?
AVG free edtion - You don't not need to renew it. You can use it forever with free of charge and also its a great anti-virus software I have ever had. People in this site recommended it

Norton Antivirus is bad and has bugs and also you need to renew it, that means you have to pay money more and its not really worth it.
Computer Specs
Member with 81 posts.

01-Nov-2007, 04:25 PM #10
Glad you were able to get it off Drumgude . That is what worked for me . Thanks for the links
Elvandil .
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2007, 05:19 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude
The free version is excellent and all you might need under normal circumstances. I've used it for years and only recently changed to the subscription version because I had a couple programs that it kept telling me were viruses. They weren't and I got sick of clicking that message. The pay version seems to remember those choices so the problem doesn't arise again.

But for the vast majority, the free version is fine and I don't see any evidence that they are less diligent about support or updates just because it is free.
Gizzy   (Bill) Gizzy is offline Gizzy is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Library Manager with 3,865 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Nov-2007, 04:59 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Head
From there go down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and repeat step 3. Restart your PC.
I also have "Symantec Technical Support" in the list delete this too?
Computer Specs
Member with 868 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Nov-2007, 07:21 PM #13
I don't understand why you would choose the free version of AVG over the paid version. Isn't the paid version better?

Anyways, in my opinion Norton has better virus protection but slows down your computer much more. This isn't the same for all Symantec products, though. I used to have Symantec Corporate Edition and it worked great. Right when I got AVG, there was at least a 3 to 5 second hang every time I logged on, and every time I started a program it took at least 2 seconds longer; it used to be basically instant.

If you're looking for the best opinions, I'd suggest going here and looking through it. I'm pretty sure NOD32 is currently the recommended antivirus by them. I have personally used NOD32 and it did not slow down my computer AT ALL. The virus protection seemed sufficient. It's not like I just downloaded some viruses, but I did scan a few files on jotti.org and NOD32 detected everything that all the other virus scanners detected and even detected a false-positive in which every single other antivirus detected as a virus.
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2007, 09:23 PM #14
I like avast,
Junior Member with 27 posts.

07-Nov-2007, 09:28 PM #15
Evalandi did you read - <<AVG Anti-Spyware>> not avg VA
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!