Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: alarm sounding from my PC

(!)

Member with 160 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Dec-2007, 01:14 PM #1
Solved: alarm sounding from my PC
alarm sounding from my PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there i need some help!!!
Every night my PC will start sounding an alarm, this sound like the old fire engines, it can last for 5 minutes or 1 hour, and as you can imagine it drives me nuts.
I run SpyBot ion a daily basis and regularly update (this alsways gives me a spyware.bot error)!
I run AVG evry 3 days!
I run Ad-Aware on a regular basis also!
I have some of Bklueyonder PC guard running!
Hope someone can help!!!! Please
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Dec-2007, 02:32 PM #2
Not sure what you mean by 'like the old fire engines' so I can't readily identify it, but I'm wondering if it might be a UPS alarm?
Member with 160 posts.

21-Dec-2007, 04:29 PM #3
when i say old fire engines i mean heeeee haaaaw heeee haaaaw, sorry only way i can explin it! it always happens when i run spybot or adware!!

cheers

21-Dec-2007, 04:45 PM #4
OK, now I can 'hear' the sound. I'm afraid I still can't identify it although it sounds familiar-if only I could remember why I've heard it before (coming from a PC). Sorry, but if it comes back to me I'll post what I remember.
Computer Specs
Member with 204 posts.

21-Dec-2007, 04:45 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brikelly View Post
when i say old fire engines i mean heeeee haaaaw heeee haaaaw, sorry only way i can explin it! it always happens when i run spybot or adware!!

cheers
Does the sound come out from the PC ( The cabinet ) or from the speakers?
(
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,173 posts.

Experience: intermediate ~ advanced
21-Dec-2007, 05:11 PM #6
i thought the actual PC's themselves could only make the beep noises which mean different things depending on the pattern, not fire engine noises? or am i at the wrong end of the stick here?
Member with 160 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 08:41 AM #7
Hi all, thanks for taking time to look at this for me, the noise comes from the PC cabinet not from any speakers. i can have the sound turned off or muted and it still sounds!!!
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,976 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 09:59 AM #8
I would go and search *.wav files on the computer and rename any file that might be some kind of a fire engine sound, then when the program that does this would show an error. If that does not work, change back to the original name.
Or do you have any security program settings to sound an alarm when a faulty condition is found?
It sure sounds like something strange is happening
Computer Specs
Member with 5,550 posts.

22-Dec-2007, 05:58 PM #9
Sounds like it maybe comming from a wierd bios. Is it an overheating alarm? A computer-case-is-open-alarm? .
Member with 160 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 09:17 AM #10
Hi all, thanks again for the replies, any wav files play through my speakers so i am assuming this is not the case, can not see it being a overheat alarm as it always starts when i run spybot or Ad-Aware!! Merry Christmas!!
Member with 53 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 10:09 AM #11
Have you tried running something quite resource intensive, it could be an overheat or something simular as the pc gets quite busy when scanning.

Try opening lots of programs or using a quite resource usage game.

24-Dec-2007, 12:22 PM #12
I know that I've heard this before, coming from the speaker on the mobo-the one that normally produces the beeps. But when I've heard it before it signaled a hardware problem. Bad memory, IIRC. If it happens only when certain programs run then it's not the same.
Member with 160 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 03:32 PM #13
Thanks again for the replies!! I have just run Spy-Biot and at the same time i had the windows task manger running the CPU Usages got up to 79% with no alarm, the alarm came in at 55% usage so i do not think it is the overheat as suggested!!!

Regards
Brian
Member with 53 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 03:49 PM #14
It sounds very strange, its definatly an onboard sound rather than a .wav (which someone suggested) as long as everythings seems to be working fine, (except the noise) I wouldn't worry about it. If possible go in bios to see if theres a way to turn off the onboard speaker, or open the computer up and see if its connected to an speaker, in which case remove it.

You could also try resetting the bios, however it does seem very strange and I haven't herd of that problem before. I have only herd beeps, if there was a hardware problem, which you would normally hear at the start of the boot.

If you still have no luck, take it to your local computer store and see if they can see what the problem is.

It could be there is a toy firetruck in the computer

Happy holidays
Member with 160 posts.

24-Dec-2007, 03:52 PM #15
I have thought about opening up the case a disconeecting the speaker (if i can find it) however earlier today when the alarm was sounding i tried to restart and the computer would not restart i tried four times! i left the computer switched off for about three hours and it started ok with no alarm!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!