Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IP conflict ... but no network

(!)

Member with 29 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 10:44 PM #1
IP conflict ... but no network
I was surfing the 'net with my DSL connection when I got this error message: "there is an ip address conflict with another system on the network ..."

I have Windows XP, Norton 2003 (fully updated though) and very little in the way of computer know-how.

I figured I was being hacked and restarted, but this time I got the error message before I even hooked up to the internet. All the advice pages and search gave me information on how to fix my network...

Except I don't have one. I'm just an ordinary computer owner with one computer, one printer (connected by a parallel cable) and one DSL modem for hooking up. It is connected through a network card, though.

I tried "refreshing" the IP in Command but that didn't work. Is there anything else I need to check?
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,779 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 11:02 PM #2
That usually means that there is another machine that somehow got the same ip address.

DSL usually has static ip addresses handed out. If you have one, contact your DSL provider to let them know your ip address was used.
Member with 29 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 11:18 PM #3
Okay thanks, I'll do that.

(For an unrelated reason I'd written their number down only a couple of days ago. Now it's already useful.)
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,779 posts.

07-Jan-2008, 11:29 PM #4
No problem. Oh, also when that happens you wouldn't have any network activity if the conflict is not resolved.
Computer Specs
Registered User with 112 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Jan-2008, 06:31 AM #5
Have you tried turning your DSL modem off, wait about 1 minute and turn it back on. Do this while your computer is off, and then boot up. This may force the DSL network to give you another IP.
Member with 29 posts.

08-Jan-2008, 07:55 PM #6
I've just tried that. So far, no error message. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

*Sigh* Problem's back.

Last edited by FoFai; 08-Jan-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Problem's back
Computer Specs

09-Jan-2008, 10:50 AM #7
OK, so the IP address conflict is on your local net or the DSL network? Are you using a DSL router/modem? What other devices do you have on your network:laptops,PC's, and Printers? If you dsl modem is also a router you can see what connections are being made to it. If the DSL company or another tech company set things up it could be that you have a device with a static IP set. I have found that some routers will disregard that IP address as taken and try to assign it anyway.

Let me know what devices you are using. Is it a single computer, or do you have multiple computers connecting to the network. Do you have a printer? Printers always have a static IP and that normanlly causes the problem. I typed this quickly so sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.
Member with 29 posts.

09-Jan-2008, 07:25 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by strouprob View Post
OK, so the IP address conflict is on your local net or the DSL network? Are you using a DSL router/modem? What other devices do you have on your network:laptops,PC's, and Printers? If you dsl modem is also a router you can see what connections are being made to it. If the DSL company or another tech company set things up it could be that you have a device with a static IP set. I have found that some routers will disregard that IP address as taken and try to assign it anyway.

Let me know what devices you are using. Is it a single computer, or do you have multiple computers connecting to the network. Do you have a printer? Printers always have a static IP and that normanlly causes the problem. I typed this quickly so sorry for any grammar or spelling errors.
This is the problem when the person having a problem isn't a computer person - I might have trouble answering a question or two. I shouldn't have a router. I just have a regular DSL modem.

I have one desktop computer, one printer (parallel cable)... and that's it. I don't have a network.

I called the DSL company (they were having a problem before; 20 minute+ wait time) and they gave me the exact same Ipconfig advice that I was given here.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2008, 02:02 AM #9
Well, that sucks, I mean what the DSL company gave you. I can help you out a little better than that.
Can you recreate the error message and write it down exactly. This will help tons. The reason that I am asking in leu of you already posting the error message is sometimes the error will list the IP address in the error message, and sometimes there is data not included because you think we are better than we are :-).

The fact that you have a printer attached by parallel cable removes that from the equation, so now we are getting down to the detail that I need. So, you have a single computer attached to the internet through a DSL modem. No LAN (Local area Network).

Can you go to My computer=right click on it, do not double click to open.
Select Manage=and then Event logs.
Right click on the system event log, their should be a copy log option. Save to desktop.
Attach the log to the web site.
If you have problem attaching a file. You can click on any of the event in the right hand pane and select (CTRL and A) that should highlight the entire log. Right click and select copy. Past that log in the next post.
I will review the log to identify if this is a DSL problem or not. That way you will know if it is worth the time to go back to your DSL support and push them to resolve the problem.

Last edited by strouprob; 10-Jan-2008 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: edit
Member with 29 posts.

10-Jan-2008, 09:00 AM #10
This is what the pop-up said, exactly:

Quote:
Windows - System Error : There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network
This is what it says in the Event Viewer log:

Quote:
The system detected an address conflict for IP address XX with the system having network hardware address XXX. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
It used the exact same IP address every time I got the error message, even though I'd been fiddling with Ipconfig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strouprob View Post
Well, that sucks, I mean what the DSL company gave you. I can help you out a little better than that.
Can you recreate the error message and write it down exactly. This will help tons. The reason that I am asking in leu of you already posting the error message is sometimes the error will list the IP address in the error message, and sometimes there is data not included because you think we are better than we are :-).

The fact that you have a printer attached by parallel cable removes that from the equation, so now we are getting down to the detail that I need. So, you have a single computer attached to the internet through a DSL modem. No LAN (Local area Network).

Can you go to My computer=right click on it, do not double click to open.
Select Manage=and then Event logs.
Right click on the system event log, their should be a copy log option. Save to desktop.
Attach the log to the web site.
If you have problem attaching a file. You can click on any of the event in the right hand pane and select (CTRL and A) that should highlight the entire log. Right click and select copy. Past that log in the next post.
I will review the log to identify if this is a DSL problem or not. That way you will know if it is worth the time to go back to your DSL support and push them to resolve the problem.
Okay, here it is.

In the mean-time, the problem seems to have vanished. I doubt it was anything I did; probably someone else had the same fixed IP and their service provider technician was able to fix the problem on their end.
Attached Files
File Type: rar NewestLog.rar (21.2 KB, 37 views)
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jan-2008, 10:47 AM #11
Do you by chance have a wireless router? If your DSL modem supports wireless you may have someone connecting to your wireless network which if they had the same IP as you would cause that message. All wireless AP's should be secured!
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2008, 04:43 PM #12
r71cuda is a little behind the ball, but thanks for posting. I already asked that question.
Fofia,
The error message notes an internal address. (This error is from the log that you sent me). This IP address can only come from a router so I have to assume that your modem is also routing the ip address to your local area network. Most local area network IP's start with 192.168.X.X
Error:
"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.64 with the system having network hardware address 00:19:21:41:83:46. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result."

What this means is that the modem is also acting as a router and routing the internet to your LAN. You should have an IP address for your computer starting with 192.168.1.X. If this happens again Reboot the entire system, meaning turn off your computer, Printer, and Modem. Wait for about a minute and then turn everything back on in the order of Modem, computer, and then the printer.
Another concern is that you have a Static IP address set for your computer. That means your computer will always use 192.168.1.64. Once again if the problem resurfaces you my need to change the settings on the router for DHCP and change the settings on you network card to get the ip address from the modem. Since you are up and working now, it is not a problem. If the issue comes back you can start another thread, call DSL support, or send me a message and I will walk you through reseting your network settings.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!