Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton Antivirus vs. AVG anti-virus free?

(!)

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Norton Antivirus 7 29.17%
AVG Ant-virus 7.5 free 17 70.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jan-2008, 08:19 AM #1
Norton Antivirus vs. AVG anti-virus free?
Which is better?

I've heard that AVG free is good.
I've heard recently Norton is bad.

I currently have Norton right now.
Member with 164 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2008, 12:14 PM #2
Norton is a resource hog and AVG used to be pretty decent, not sure how they are now. Read some bad things about them awhile back. If you're looking for a free anti-virus try Avast Home Edition. You register it and they send a serial thats good for 14 months. Once that expires you can re-register for another free serial. They have an awesome anti-virus, doesn't use a lot of resources. The only bad thing is there is not a scheduled scan. But you can use the Avast screen saver to scan your machine when the screen saver comes on.

You can even try Comodo Anti-virus, it is also free. i don't have to much experience with their anti-virus. I have read a few of the reviews and it is worth a shot...it is free!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by bobbydiaz; 30-Jan-2008 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Computer Specs
Member with 64 posts.

Experience: Advanced Beginner
30-Jan-2008, 12:24 PM #3
AVG for the simple fact that Norton releases their own viruses...So they can get more business...

Okay, all conspiracy theories aside, I trust AVG a little more just because it's worked for me for a long time and never seems to slow down my computer's performance with a "security center" or something of the like. AVG just kind of, stays out of the way, I guess, and that's how I like it. I'd use McAfee over Norton even, personally. But I'd use a Linux distro over Windows anyday too, and that's probably the best way to solve this problem: hardening.
Computer Specs
Member with 83 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jan-2008, 04:34 PM #4
But does Norton have a largesr database than AVG? (Meaning it can detect more)
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

30-Jan-2008, 05:19 PM #5
Personally I prefer Avast but out of the two, AVG is better.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
30-Jan-2008, 05:33 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi123 View Post
But does Norton have a largesr database than AVG? (Meaning it can detect more)
largest data base shouldn't be the deciding factor for you. New and altered viruses, trojans and such are being introduced to fast to rely on data bases for protection. More importantly you want to look at heuristics (the ability of the AV software to detect infections by their actions), this will help protect you against new threats that haven't been included in data bases yet.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 01:11 AM #7
I've always had trouble with norton. Why do you think it usually comes standard on the new Vista based machines? :-p
Member with 164 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 12:01 PM #8
I am willing to bet the reason Norton is in all of these machines is because they were the highest bidder!

To tell you the truth, Norton used to be a very good AV but they are the perfect example of a company taking on to much! I don't think you can even buy just the AV anymore...you have to get the full blown suite and it takes over the whole damn system. I guess its good for the people who have no idea how to maintain their machines! But not for me.
Computer Specs
Member with 272 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 03:34 PM #9
I agree, seems like every computer that has Norton now a days is run the Norton way. (if that makes sense haha) ... They were good at one time, but now a days it seems like they've just over done it.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,389 posts.

31-Jan-2008, 03:54 PM #10
Norton costs too much, Slows the computer down, and I was always having to remove it and reinstall it to fix it.
Then I'd have to call Norton and explain why I used up my allotted activations.

I've switched to AVG free, Zone Alarm, CCleaner and WinPatrol .. all free.

Then, With the money I saved, I got Acronis True Image and an external Hard Drive to backup my computer with.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Now, I can fix anything in about 20 minutes ...
Even when Windows gets confused for no good reason.
Member with 77 posts.

01-Feb-2008, 02:11 AM #11
Norton has large database of virus

Million Company use Norton and Mcafee
Registered User with 722 posts.

01-Feb-2008, 02:44 AM #12
If you were to browse the hijack this threads over in the malware removal forum, you would find the infected PC's were running all kinds of free or paid anti-virus programs, including AVG, Norton, McAfee, CA Network assocates, etc. I don't know what it means, except that we should be careful what we download and what we click.
sup2a has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,351 posts.

Experience: Intermediate-Advanced
01-Feb-2008, 03:04 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV1611 View Post
Personally I prefer Avast but out of the two, AVG is better.
got it in one
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Feb-2008, 01:25 AM #14
I've been using Avast for quite a while now and it is fantastic.
They update their database at least once a day, and they offer real time protection, which is quite useful.

i have a question for someone with experience with Mcafee:
I have Comcast, and Mcafee is offered free with it, so would it be worth it to switch over?
I'm not hugely worried about viruses (for all it's faults, Vista's UAC and IE7s protected mode makes it very difficult to aquire viruses), but Mcafee has many more useful features than Avast, and keep in mind that both are free.

I'm not terribly worried about running low on resouces, as it is, i've never been able to push my RAM usage to even 60%, even with my computer being on for days and running multiple programs such as AutoCAD.

Oh, and by the way, after 4 months of running Avast on a clean install of Vista, I ran the Kaspersky free system scan and it came up clean. For a free program, Avast is frantastic.

Last edited by Tentel11; 02-Feb-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Member with 44,675 posts.

02-Feb-2008, 01:59 AM #15
IMO, Mcafee is as bloated as Norton...If you have your own security and it's working, why fix it?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!