Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Problem Updating windows

(!)

Member with 72 posts.

01-Mar-2008, 03:22 PM #1
Solved: Problem Updating windows
I am trying to update my system because of a couple of vulnerablities detected by trend micro's house call but when I access the microsoft site and try to update I get the following error number 0x80072EE7.
Have looked at the Hosts file as described in the help but cannot see anything that seems to be casuing the problem. I am running XP Home and with internet explorer and have zone alarm as my firewall.
Please can someone help me as I getting quite frustrated about this now.
Many Thanks
Tim
Member with 8,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2008, 06:23 AM #2
Hello Tim.

What is your experience level?

Which version of XP Home?

When did the problem begin?
Can you associate the onset of the problem to the addition or removal of hardware or software, to include an update to Windows or your antivirus program? Have you run a registry cleaner recently? I am NOT suggesting that you run a reg cleaner.

How far in the update process can you get?

Send a screen shot of the page at which you receive the error message.

How to create a screen shot.
Creating a screen shot requires:
1. a keyboard with a key labeled "Print Screen". This may be abbreviated "PrtScn", "PrntScn", or some other variation. It is usually to the right of the F12 key
2. a destination program. Microsoft WordPad, and Paint, which are built into Windows 95 and beyond, as well as Microsoft Word, not a part of Windows will suffice. My favorite is Paint, because it provides the greatest versatility. Paint saves images, by default, as bitmap files [ .bmp ], which are very large files, but we will work around that issue. Paint also provides editing features.
2.a. To open Paint
left click "start"
left click "programs" [ or "all programs" ]
left click "accessories
Left click "paint"
3. Press the "PrtScn" [ or similar button ] on your keyboard.
4. Open the destination program [ see # 2 above ].
5. Maximize the screen of the destination program.
6. Left "edit" across the top.
7. Left click "paste".
8. Save the file to your "Desktop", "My Documents", or other location of your choice.
8.a. If using Paint, save it as a .jpg / .jpeg.
Left click "file"
Left clicks "save as".
Near the bottom, where it says "save as type", left click on the down pointing arrow.
look for jpeg or jpg.
Left click on jpeg or jpg.
Left click "ok".

Come back to this forum & thread.
Left click the button "go advanced".
Left click the button "manage attachments".
Browse to the location of the file.
After you have found the file, left click the button "upload".
When finished, left click "close window".
Left click the button "submit reply".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...creenshot.mspx

Have you been through these steps?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

RF123
Member with 72 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 07:18 AM #3
Hi and thanks for the reply - apologies for the delay but I have been on holiday so have just returned and got your post.
I have been through the steps on the windows site but am a little lost on that score as can't seem to find anything listed on the hosts file that may relate to a fixed IP address.
The message I am getting appears on the windows update site as soon as it starts to check for the latest version of windows.
I have attached a copy of the screen shot where the error message appears and also one of the c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc directory as there appears to be more than one hosts file. I have also attached a copy of the hosts file so you can see what I am getting when I open this in notepad.
My experience level is better then most - all self taught but I am pretty proficient on pc's
Really appreciate your help with this as I am at a loss as what has caused the problem - I am not sure when I last updated before the problem began but the only hardware I have added recently is a canon printer and an external harddrive. No software.
Cheers,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Problem Updating windows-screen-shot.jpg   Solved: Problem Updating windows-etc-directory.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt hosts.txt (707 Bytes, 47 views)
Member with 8,248 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 03:12 PM #4
t:
Thanks for the hosts.txt . I see no problems there.

Also, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
You may need another holiday after working your way through 822798 .

You might find some undocumented tip in 1 of these.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=0x8...=UTF-8&fr=moz2

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=822...=UTF-8&fr=moz2

Keep us posted, Tim.

Best of success.

RF123
Member with 8,248 posts.

21-Mar-2008, 03:17 PM #5
Which hosts did you send; hosts / MSN or hosts / non - MSN?

Send the other.

Close your browser.
Set your computer to unhide file extensions.
Rename hosts / MSN to "hosts_msn" [ sans "" ].

Open your browser.

Try to obtain the updates.

RF123
Computer Specs
Member with 2,233 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know Better
22-Mar-2008, 08:44 AM #6
Guided Help for Windows Update error message: Error 0x80072EE2 Error 0x80072EE7 Error 0x80072EFD E

Try this link: http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/836941
Member with 8,248 posts.

22-Mar-2008, 04:24 PM #7
That is 2 votes for 836941!

RF123
Member with 72 posts.

25-Mar-2008, 05:00 AM #8
Thanks for the posts guys, I will give these a go and let you know what happens
Member with 8,248 posts.

25-Mar-2008, 06:12 AM #9
Which hosts did you send; hosts / MSN or hosts / non - MSN?

Send the other.

RF123
Member with 72 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 07:23 PM #10
Here's the Hosts msn file that I have just renamed - and unfortunately this hasn't worked for the updates
Member with 8,248 posts.

27-Mar-2008, 09:35 PM #11
tb:
?????

I don't see the Hosts MSN file mentioned.

Please work your way through 836941, as previously suggested, twice.

RF123
Member with 72 posts.

28-Mar-2008, 06:43 AM #12
Hi and thanks for the reply - not sure what you meant by the hosts msn file not being mentioned but have seen that for some reason the file has not attached - I will upload it again later on this evening.
I have worked my way through the 836941 instructions and this has not worked either - still getting the same error message I'm afraid.
I will update with the msn hosts file later as promised and will let you know how I get on with my search for the problem but am getting close to just wiping the machine and starting again.
Regards,
Tim
Computer Specs
Member with 32,623 posts.

28-Mar-2008, 06:49 AM #13
The 0x80072ee7 error code may occur when the client computer tries to resolve a URL for the Windows Update Web site and cannot find the correct IP address. This error may occur if the Hosts file contains a static IP address.

Resolution Suggestion One:

# To resolve this error, examine the Hosts file. (This file may also be named Hosts.sam.) Make sure that the file does not list any static IP entries for the Windows Update Web site.

The Hosts file is located in the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder. To view the Hosts file, you may have to associate the file with Notepad. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Hosts file.

2. Click Open With, and then select Notepad from the list of programs.

If the Hosts file contains a static IP address that is associated with Windows Update, comment the entry by adding the # sign at the beginning of the entry. (NB - You can also delete the whole line and save changes to the Hosts file.)

Note Programs, such as Web accelerators, DNS accelerators, DNS caching utilities, and Spyblockers, can add static IP entries for the Windows Update Web site to your Hosts file. This scenario can cause Windows Update to fail.

Also

check your dns settings..

in network connections, right click the connection, go to properties

select internet protocol (tcp/ip) and click properties.

Check that DNS is on automatic, not fixed!

Last edited by Blackmirror; 28-Mar-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Member with 8,248 posts.

28-Mar-2008, 02:54 PM #14
Blackmirror:
I looked at the OP's hosts file, 1 of them at least, as noted in the screen shot & attachment to #3 of this post. I do not see a fixed IP address.

The screen shot indicates that there are 2 hosts files in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

RF123
Member with 72 posts.

29-Mar-2008, 10:10 AM #15
Well guys, I ran the 836941 fix and nothing but when I shut down the pc and then came back to it later that day it wouldn't boot at all anymore. Just kept cycling and through the windows screen and then powering down. Have had to do a full system refresh now to get it to work so have lost everything and reverted back to original factory shipped settings. Not too happy about losing everything but then again I giess I should have backed up more often. Ah well at least I can update windows now.
Thanks for all the advice and tips but I'd watch running that guided tour thingy as that seemed to screw up my puter.
Laters,
Tim
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!