Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cannot turn Windows Firewall On

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2008, 07:28 PM #1
Question Cannot turn Windows Firewall On
I cannot turn Windows Firewall on. It keeps giving messages about not being able to access 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service. Ahhhhhh! I'm guessing; not positive--but can I also assume that something to do with this would make it NOT possible for me to login to some internet sites, since I can do NOTHING to the Firewall settings. It's like it won't let me change anything about it. And , I did already clear cookies. Does any of this make a bit of sense???
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2008, 01:17 AM #2
i had something like this before... i think what happened was the antivirus program had a firewall and it was tinkering with the setting and when i removed it they werent set back... i think to fix it i did an os repair... you might also want to make sure your computer is spyware/virus free because those little boogers can cause weird problems like this too
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2008, 01:24 AM #3
Thanks, for the advice; I'll try that os thing.
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2008, 01:30 AM #4
Question Crap
Can't do the os repair thing; you have to have the XP disc to do it--mine came already installed. Can't begin to tell you how many times that has been a pain in the behind. I'm still trying to make ABSOLUTELY sure it isn't a bug; but, so for, it SEEMS not.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2008, 01:34 AM #5
i have heard about something called a system file check that kinda does like a repair doesnt fix anything... ive never used it before because i would rather go on and do the whole repair... here is the link http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_syste..._i_run_it.html it will explain what it is and how to use it... and if it were me i would just go to a torrent site and grab me a copy of what ever you had, or go to your local computer store with 5 bucks and tell them you would like a copy of your distro(if they had any sense they would trade 5 bucks for a burnt copy of xp)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!