Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Nothing I do works

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 17 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2008, 09:35 AM #1
Nothing I do works
I uninstalled Norton 360 for the free version of AVG. I still think I have viruses on my computer, and I know that I have spyware. So I installed SpyBot but AVG picked that up as spyware, and ever since I installed and ran SpyBot my computer has gone from bad to worse. Something is wrong with the start up I think. Dad's getting annoyed, and probably thinks it's my fault because I shouldn't have removed Norton in the first place. Actually things were alright with Norton still on, but when I installed AVG later, it picked up viruses that Norton didn't. I don't know what to believe, and not even sure if I can really believe anything I post in a forum, and just go by hopeful thinking that someone genuine will be able to give me even the slightest bit of guidance.
I've uninstalled Spybot now because things were popping up, saying something like changes in the registry files. I don't know, I didn't know what to do, so I just uninstalled SpyBot. I don't have money to buy AVG, so is the free version actually any good?
Now I'm worried that all my files are infected, and that if I install any software onto my computer, it to will get infected.
I know this next bit is said a lot, but I really need help.
Computer Specs
Member with 65 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 09:55 AM #2
I'm not sure why Avg would pick up spybot but it could be because of the backups it keeps of everything removed,
and Avg free edition is a very good program (I use it myself)
Computer Specs

06-Mar-2008, 10:00 AM #3
It picked it up before I started scanning with Spybot, or before Spybot could even make any backup files. So, that's what got me really confused after reading everyone's positive comments and editors reviews.
Computer Specs
Member with 65 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 10:05 AM #4
have you tried to just run a full Avg scan - perhaps in safemode?! then let Avg clean as much as possible? (I presume you have but i wanted to ask anyway)
Computer Specs
Member with 260 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 10:37 AM #5
Spybot is a little too intrusive, IMO. Whenever you install and uninstall anything, the registry gets written to. Spybot will alert you to OK registry changes as well as the bad registry changes made by adware and spyware.

You should never run more than one AV program at once. That includes the active AV agents - the ones that run as services and start up with your PC and keep working in the background. In other words, it is not even a good idea to have two AV programs installed at the same time.

AVG is a good free AV program. That and the free version of AdAware should keep you virus-free and relatively malware free. Many AV programs will consider other AV programs as viruses. They do not play nice on the same PC.

I think what I'm saying is you can have too many agents "cleaning" your PC.

Was this helpful at all?

BTW I use Zone Alarm for everything, Firewall, AV, Adware and Spyware.

I used to use Norton but found it too cumbersome and found it missed some viuses.

If you ever think your AV program, whatever it is, might be missing something, the only thing you can do is to try another. But since you do NOT want to install another program, you can try TrendMicro free online scanning.
Gizzy   (Bill) Gizzy is offline Gizzy is authorized to help remove malware.
Computer Specs
Library Manager with 3,865 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Mar-2008, 11:08 AM #6
you could shut off tea timer in spybot and it won't give you those alerts about registry changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,138 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 08:17 PM #7
Also did you run the Norton removal tool to make sure Norton is completely gone. That could cause a problem too.
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2008, 03:08 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma77 View Post
Also did you run the Norton removal tool to make sure Norton is completely gone. That could cause a problem too.
Oh, that I did not do. I didn't even know that can happen. I don't know how significant it would be if Norton wasn't fully removed, but I'll check anyway.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,138 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 03:20 AM #9
Google for the norton removal tool. Then download it and run it. That will make sure it is completely removed from your computer. I hope it makes a difference for you.
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

07-Mar-2008, 04:13 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieCella View Post
Oh, that I did not do. I didn't even know that can happen. I don't know how significant it would be if Norton wasn't fully removed, but I'll check anyway.

Hi SophieCella. Try usin NoNav.exe. It removes and kills all of Norton products and Symantec related products. U can go here ===> http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe I gurantee u this will work.. I was usin Norton Internet Security and i was goin thru Hell removin it even with the given Norton removal tool!! So try this.. It will work.. Goodluck!! And ya if you wanna try free AV try out Avast free home edition.

Last edited by Ben81; 07-Mar-2008 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Further Info
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!