Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Phishing Question

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Mar-2008, 06:39 PM #1
Solved: Phishing Question
I've been unable to find the answer to this online, so maybe someone here knows the answer.

I'm running Vista Home Premium with, of course, Windows Mail. Occasionally, W.M. will flag an email as probably "Phishing." Every email it's consigned to the phishing area has looked alike. The printing is a red bold typeface, and there is a small icon that looks like a small red shield at the left side of the email address where the email supposedly originated. Generally, the subject line is a dead giveaway. I've gotten them from my bank (wanting me to update my information), from paypal (I don't have a paypal account - never have), and even from my ISP. I have never opened any of these.

However, today I got an email that appears to be a response (from a web site) to an email I sent out this morning. And Windows Mail flagged it as a probable phishing attempt. It looks exactly like what I described above...an icon that looks like a red and white shield, as well as the bold red type.

A couple of days ago when I was poking around in information in my Control Panel, I saw a similar icon, although this one had a question mark in the middle of the graphic. (The icons that accompany the emails have an X on the graphic).

So, now I'm wondering...is this icon and the bold red type something Windows Mail is doing? I mean, it has always seemed kind of dumb to me that people who send out phishing emails would actually flag them to look different from other emails. Windows Mail sends emails to my junk file, but it doesn't change their appearance, but these phishing things are different.

I didn't find anything on Vista's Help feature about the appearance of the emails that it identifies as phishing, nor did I find anything on Google. Has anyone here had any emails like this, and do you know if Vista is changing the appearance of these emails? Or are they all coming from the same morons who want you to give them your bank account numbers and passwords?
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
17-Mar-2008, 09:29 PM #2
Hi and welcome…

I would guess that Windows Mail is doing it. At the same time, some providers TAG emails also, but rarely put a special icon on them. So, I’d put my money on Windows Mail.

Microsoft has taken some approaches towards phishing and I would guess that this is one of the many additions that come with Vista/Windows Mail.

Also, some Antivirus Suites will flag your emails too.

This won’t answer your question directly either, but it will give you some information as to what I am referring to on “Microsoft Initiatives”.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ails/mail.mspx

Thanks!

Shane
Junior Member with 9 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Mar-2008, 01:24 AM #3
Re: Phishing Question
Thanks, Shane. I think you're right. I moved the email out to my desktop where I could run a virus scan on it, and it was clean, so I opened it, and it's definitely from the people I was expecting to hear from.

And thank you for the link. I browsed the page, and was especially interested in the DVD Maker information. DVD Maker is a piece of junk that doesn't work. On a Microsoft forum about DVD Maker are a lot of complaints that are identical to my experience. DVD Maker appears to be burning a disk....until it reaches 99%. It then pops up a little window that says it can not create the DVD. It suggests that either your DVD drive is not connected (yes it is), or that the files you are trying to burn are corrupted. (No they aren't). My DVD drive works just fine when I want to watch a video on a commercial disk, and my files display correctly on Windows Media Player. These complaints have been there for months, with no response from Microsoft, although one poster said that he/she had called Microsoft and was told that unless DVD Maker was purchased directly from them (as opposed to being already loaded on a new computer, as is my case) they won't do anything about it, and suggested that the person contact the company they bought it from. My computer is a Gateway, and when I talked to their support people I was advised that unless I pay a separate department of their company to advise on software, they have nothing to say. And the amount they charge would pay for a DVD burner, if I could find one that actually works on Vista. What's wrong with this picture? I paid for everything on this computer, and I didn't get what I paid for.

Anyway, I appreciate the information. I've had Vista for almost a year now, and it still confuses me.

Jules
pinntech pinntech is offline pinntech has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Professional Technician
19-Mar-2008, 08:10 PM #4
Hi Jules...

Sorry to hear about DVD Maker. I don't use Vista yet and will most likely AVOID it as long as XP is supported by MS. It's TYPICAL that MS produces programs that are BUGGED and that we are the BETA testers for them. That's just how it has been and how it will continue.

There are many GOOD DVD programs out there and some are free. I agree though, if it is with the OS or provided to you, then it should work.

I'm at least glad to hear that the link helped.

Have a great night and be sure to mark your thread as solved!

Thanks!

Shane
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!