Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Do I have a hacker?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 108,448 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Mar-2008, 02:31 PM #1
Do I have a hacker?
Several things have occurred in the last week.

1. There were messages in my spam filter with nothing in the subject line. I deleted them. I got a few more today.

2. I got 4 messages in my email today entitled: Notification of undelivered messages. I opened one and it also had nothing in the subject line. I deleted them.

3. A couple days ago, (I am on dial-up) when I tried to disconnect I couldn't. I got a message that there was another user with programs still running. I am the only user. I finally did C/A/D to get out. I checked this one out on google. And from what I read this could have just been a MS program problem. However, with item 1 and 2, I am wondering if I have a hacker?

I use XP.

Comments will be appreciated.

18-Mar-2008, 10:45 PM #2
bump
Computer Specs
Member with 12,638 posts.

Experience: Interemedial
18-Mar-2008, 11:22 PM #3
More likely, you have a basic malware problem, poochee.
Computer Specs

19-Mar-2008, 12:02 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBWrench View Post
More likely, you have a basic malware problem, poochee.
Thanks. So far today all has been quiet.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,905 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 12:41 AM #5
I have gotten a couple Notification of undelivered messages in my inbox and junk folder on a web base email account and I just delete them. Never open the email if you know it's junk. They are spambots looking for good email address. You can view email in plain text and that is safer. If this is your ISP get MailWasher. Then you could look at it safey from the mail server in plain text and then delete it. I hope you did not get anything on your computer.
Sent out a email to yourself and then see of only one email goes out. After you get your email back look at it and also look at the sent email and see how it is addressed to see if it is the same. That is TO: poochee and no other names are there in the TO:, CC:, or BCC:.
Computer Specs

19-Mar-2008, 01:13 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewee View Post
I have gotten a couple Notification of undelivered messages in my inbox and junk folder on a web base email account and I just delete them. Never open the email if you know it's junk. They are spambots looking for good email address. You can view email in plain text and that is safer. If this is your ISP get MailWasher. Then you could look at it safey from the mail server in plain text and then delete it. I hope you did not get anything on your computer.
Sent out a email to yourself and then see of only one email goes out. After you get your email back look at it and also look at the sent email and see how it is addressed to see if it is the same. That is TO: poochee and no other names are there in the TO:, CC:, or BCC:.
Thanks Hewee! I passed the email test! Also, I haven't had any odd happenings in a couple days.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

19-Mar-2008, 02:56 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewee View Post
I have gotten a couple Notification of undelivered messages in my inbox and junk folder on a web base email account and I just delete them.
I've seen tons of these kinds of messages and they are usually the result of "Joe job" attack of some kind. In some cases, the "From" address in the spam that sent out is usually some bogus, non-existent account.

There is a TON of spam floating around these days. It's just crazy.

Peace...
Computer Specs
Member with 55,905 posts.

20-Mar-2008, 04:13 AM #8
Good to hear poochee.

Yes tomdkat they are email with spam or web bugs that are just to find out if you open the email so they know your address is good.
That is why I never open them but just delete them. If it is your ISP then use mailwasher to delete from the server. If you can see the email address it is from you can check to see if it is fake and most times it is.
Free Email Address Verifier
http://verify-email.org/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!