Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't load Norton

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

02-Aug-2008, 09:34 PM #1
Solved: Can't load Norton
My computer died so I go t another one (it is borrowed) and it did not have the anti virus loaded correctly, it had part of Macafee loaded but not the virus protection. I removed Macafee and decided to dowload the rest of my year of norton to it. I was able to download it to the computer but it won't install - it keeps telling me there is already a version on this computer and to go to Add Remove programs, I have done that and I can't find Norton or Symantec on Add remove programs, I even did a search and the only Norton it finds is the one I downloaded and can't finish installing. Can someone tell me where it might be hiding so I can remove it and finish this download so this computer does not fry from some virus I might get just trying to get the virus protection downloaded.

thanks

My OS is Windows XP
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,092 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2008, 10:21 PM #2
for security reasons go here and get this anti-virus program for free and very good and download & install and update and scan for virus
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html
then go here and try these tools don't know which one you will have to wing it
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

more info here;
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/14...ol-Symnrt.html
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 303 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 10:10 PM #3
You could find the needle in the haystack, or do an complete format and reinstall. Actually pretty painless, did it on my P3 500mhz processor with Windows XP at least 10 times. Sounds like his computer is pretty messed up as well....

I would format and reinstall. Just keep us posted. Or, try Revo Uninstaller. Set it to adv. mode and remove all traces of McAfee, Norton, and other crap on that comp.

Of course you could also wait for our in-house Norton Expert, our own Michael York. Let's give it up for him! heh.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 10:21 PM #4
If you download a shareware version of Power Tools ( www.jv16.org) and use the first screen called Registry, it will show you all the program entries in your registry, remove any Norton or Symantec entries and try to install again.
Member with 395 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 07:16 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats4444 View Post
My computer died so I go t another one (it is borrowed) and it did not have the anti virus loaded correctly, it had part of Macafee loaded but not the virus protection. I removed Macafee and decided to dowload the rest of my year of norton to it. I was able to download it to the computer but it won't install - it keeps telling me there is already a version on this computer and to go to Add Remove programs, I have done that and I can't find Norton or Symantec on Add remove programs, I even did a search and the only Norton it finds is the one I downloaded and can't finish installing. Can someone tell me where it might be hiding so I can remove it and finish this download so this computer does not fry from some virus I might get just trying to get the virus protection downloaded.

thanks

My OS is Windows XP
Hi kats,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support team responding to your posting.

It appears that the older version of Norton was not properly removed, which is why you have not been able to install the newer version. Also, make sure that you fully remove any other third-party anti virus and internet security applications to ensure that there are no conflicts.

Please follow the steps below to properly remove and then reinstall Norton.

1. Click on the link below, and carefully follow the instructions to use the Norton Removal tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make note of your registration information for your Norton product and then click on the following link to re-download the newest installer.

Norton Download Center

4. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly and then install Norton. Towards the end of the installation process LiveUpdate will download and install the latest program and definition updates. After the installation is complete, launch Norton and click on the "Activation" link and input your information so that your Norton Account is properly updated.

5. Open Norton and perform a "Full system scan" to check for infections.

Thank you,
Mike
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 09:57 PM #6
Thanks for all these posts, I will give the unistal a try and post back.
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

04-Aug-2008, 10:04 PM #7
Thank you, that did the trick I will mark as resolved.
Member with 395 posts.

10-Aug-2008, 07:03 PM #8
Hi kats,

I'm happy to hear that you were able to get Norton installed and working properly.

Thanks,
Mike
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!