Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AVG and Spyware Doctor

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2008, 09:55 PM #1
AVG and Spyware Doctor
I have been using AVG Anti Virus Version 8.0 Free for quite some time now. But awhile back I had Spyware Doctor with Anti-Virus and had bought the full version which gave me a 1 year subscription to use the full version of Spyware Doctor. I just now decided to instill Spyware Doctor 6.0 with Anti Virus, While installing it, AVG popped up a window that said Trojan detected and threat removed. I checked the scanner in AVG and it shows me this...
Infection: Trojan Horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN
Object C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat.
Result: Moved to Virus Vault
Object Type: File
Process: C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\Update.exe

Any ideas all? I downloaded Spyware Doctor With Anti-Virus 6.0 from http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
So I figured it would be safe. Any ideas of what may be going on?
By the way, after AVG detected that file and moved it to the virus vault, Spyware Doctor finished installing, updating, and is working fine. I have no Idea what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Trusted Advisor with 15,871 posts.

11-Aug-2008, 08:38 AM #2
Hi very likely that Avg is recognizing the Trojan Horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN definition file that is contained in the Spyware Doctor program.

If you run two Anti-virus programs this will happen all the time.
If you are going to keep Spyware Doctor..Remove Avg.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2008, 11:02 AM #3
I too have had the same problem, but the Trojan horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN is also showing as being in C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe (660)

What is this and is it a problem?

12-Aug-2008, 12:11 PM #4
Hi Magua and welcome to TSG.
Are you using an Anti-virus program and is it picking up this virus??
Member with 33 posts.

18-Aug-2008, 12:51 PM #5
I also run Spyware Doctor latest version and just installed AVG 8 free and the scan detected trojan horse BackDoor.Hupigon4.ZSN in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat. So are you saying that this may be a false positive? I also ran microsofts safety scanner and came up with a clean computer. AVG moved infection to the virus vault but the next day AVG ran another scan and detected the same infection. I have read the free forum but no mention of this infection. I am going to post there too. Thanks

18-Aug-2008, 01:12 PM #6
Hi Lisa Z.and welcome to TSG.
Werewolff the original poster said he installed "Spyware Doctor 6.0 with Anti Virus"
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

So it could be that Avg 8 is picking up on the Spyware Doctor definition files and reporting it as a threat.
You only need one Anti-virus progran running or they will conflict with each other and could report each others definition files as a threat.
Member with 33 posts.

18-Aug-2008, 01:28 PM #7
I only have AVG antivirus 8 Spyware Doctor 6.0 does not have the virus database enabled so I use it to detect spyware only. Let me see if I understand what you are saying. AVG is detecting a spyware doctor definition file only, not a trojan horse infection. So indeed it can be a false positive? Thanks for the quick response!

18-Aug-2008, 01:41 PM #8
Avg is saying it is finding this C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat.
If it found the trojan else where then you would have a problem.
It not really a false positive as it exists in Spyware Doctor as a definition file.
And even though the Anti-virus section of Spyware Doctor is switched off Avg is seeing it.
Member with 33 posts.

18-Aug-2008, 01:49 PM #9
AVG has moved the infection to the virus vault and only in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat, no where else. So what is a definition file then. Is a def file a known malware file that spyware doctor can detect? Am I infected with trojan horse?

18-Aug-2008, 02:00 PM #10
How any Anti-virus program writers do their thing I do not know.
But built into Avg will be a way to recognize the Trojan Horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN
A definition file will be written to be able to see if it is present on your system.
If you didn't have Spyware Doctor installed then..C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat would not be picked up by Avg.

The Trojan Horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN definition file only exists in the Spyware Doctor program.
Plus of course in Avg.
Member with 33 posts.

18-Aug-2008, 02:30 PM #11
Well, I emptied the virus vault after making sure that spyware doctor was running right.
Member with 33 posts.

18-Aug-2008, 02:32 PM #12
I am going to run the AVG scan again to make sure that all is well now.

18-Aug-2008, 04:26 PM #13
Hi you may well find that Trojan Horse Backdoor.Hupigon4.ZSN in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\klg.dat gets picked up again as a threat.
You may have to decide which to keep Spyware Doctor or Avg.
Is your Spyware Doctor a paid for program?
All recent reviews show it to be a good program but reviews can be misleading.
If you are happy with Spyware Doctor why did you feel the need to d/load Avg?

There are other good Spyware programs.
http://www.superantispyware.com
Is just one of them.
Member with 33 posts.

20-Aug-2008, 12:16 PM #14
Spyware Doctor or AVG
I have done a clean install on my computer. I haven't connected it to the internet yet. I am using my XP PRO machine to post reply. The funny thing is that I am running AVG 8 and Spyware Doctor 6, the same 2 programs that I was using on my infected computer and there are not conflicts and the AVG scan doesn't detect Spyware Doctors definition file as being a threat. Anyway, thanks for your help and replies. I am going to reinstall AVG 8 free first and then try installing Spyware Doctor again on my Vista and see if everything is good. If any problems arise I will be sure to report them! Have a great day! Again thank you!

20-Aug-2008, 03:21 PM #15
Thanks for the update.
Let us know if it all works out.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!