Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Email address being used by someone else to set up accounts

(!)

Member with 85 posts.

20-Sep-2008, 10:39 PM #1
Angry Email address being used by someone else to set up accounts
Hello....Don't know if this is the right forum or not. But anyways... My hotmail address has been used for three account names on Youtube. I didn't create them and have no idea how long they've been there. Who knows how many accounts have created on other sites with my address. How did this happen and now what?...Thanks... Take it easy.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

20-Sep-2008, 10:45 PM #2
Change your Hotmail account password.
Member with 85 posts.

20-Sep-2008, 10:51 PM #3
I changed my password on my email and my youtube account. Will those other accounts still be usable by whoever created them?
Computer Specs
Member with 5,506 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 12:29 AM #4
Most sites send a activation email to your email address. If you changed your email password, then the other person cannot activate their account because they cannot get to the activation email.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Sep-2008, 10:57 AM #5
I don't think I understand how this could have happened. How do you know that your hotmail account was used to set up an account on UTube? Have you NOT been getting your incoming hotmail emails?
Account Disabled with 38 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 11:55 AM #6
They have activated accounts using your email? If they have got access to your account and have confirmed email address to activate their account then you should worry.
Member with 85 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 01:24 PM #7
"How do you know that your hotmail account was used to set up an account on UTube?"

Because I had to have my sign in/ password sent to me, I had forgotten them. When I opened the email, it showed three other names that are attached to my email address. And I didn't create them.......Take it easy

21-Sep-2008, 04:38 PM #8
Since you can only register an e-mail address once, I don't understand how you can see multiple names and accounts under your one e-mail address. Are you sure you're looking at your Hotmail account only and not other e-mail accounts?
Member with 85 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 05:20 PM #9
Since you can only register an e-mail address once, I don't understand how you can see multiple names and accounts under your one e-mail address. Are you sure you're looking at your Hotmail account only and not other e-mail accounts?

I only have two emails, my main one, and one hotmail address which I used for Youtube and other sites. This is the message I got ...

"HI (my email address) The following YouTube usernames are attached to this email address.(then the three names which aren't mine + mine).We hope this helps.

See you back on YouTube!

- The YouTube Team

21-Sep-2008, 05:26 PM #10
I guess I'm still not understanding, unless you haven't checked your hotmail email for any length of time.
Member with 85 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 06:00 PM #11
I guess I'm still not understanding, unless you haven't checked your hotmail email for any length of time.

I might not have seen them, because I wouldn't be looking for anything from youtube. So I probably just deleted them....I just signed into the false accounts and deleted them. One was 16, one was 20 and the other 32 years old. Only one video was watched and none posted. They were all created around the same time last year. Still don't know how they used my info.....Thanks for all the help.

21-Sep-2008, 06:10 PM #12
So, then, if I'm understanding it correctly, someone must have known your password as I am almost willing to bet that they would have had to reply to some activation message that UTube sent? I don't use UTube, but, would assume it's like anything else you join that needs a password to log in. And if you were still able to log in and check your email too........

21-Sep-2008, 09:55 PM #13
I logged into YouTube, and I don't see any setting where you can add multiple user names to one YouTube account. In any case, someone might have grabbed your YouTube account password. Change that as well.

If you're not using strong passwords, now would be a good time to start. If you are, is someone else sharing your computer or did you access your accounts from another computer without clearing the browser cache?
Registered User with 722 posts.

21-Sep-2008, 10:37 PM #14
One can open multiple youtube accounts using the same email. The account is partially activated with whatever username/password was chosen, but I believe uploads and comments may not be allowed until the user replies to the confirmation email.

So it doesn't necessarily mean someone had the OP's hotmail login/password. Someone could have done this just by plonking in his email and didn't care that it couldn't be fully activated?

Just the same, I would change passwords too.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!