Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What's the best Antivirus / Firewall Package?

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

28-Sep-2008, 06:41 PM #1
What's the best Antivirus / Firewall Package?
I've had it with Norton - it failed to protect my machine 3 times against 3 different trojans. I want to purchase a new package but I thought I'd better do some proper research this time. I would appreciate any recommendations.

McAfee?
AVG?
PC Tools?

any others?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,983 posts.

Experience: Mac Addict
28-Sep-2008, 07:57 PM #2
Yourself, as explained after the red text in my canned response:

Ferrija1's Canned Malware Removal Applications Post:

Quote:
There are so many good antivirus applications on the internet, there is no "absolute best, hands-down, golden standard" application for virus or spyware removal. They are like cars. They all get you places (remove viruses), it's just that some look different and have certain features that others don't. The exact appliations you choose comes down to personal preference. You may find a certain lightweight anti-virus application to work well on your less powerful computer, or you may like the layout of an anti-spyware enough that you choose to use it. The detection difference between the below applications is for the most part insignificant.

Nomatter what anti-virus application you use, you can still be infected if you do not follow the following points:

1. You behavior while online is your first and best defense against malware.
While antivirus software is complex, malicious programs (malware) are created every day before antivirus applications have time to update to block that vulnerability, leaving the antivirus software useless. There are few security tips to follow while online; if these are followed, coupled with an antivirus application, your chances of being infected are next to none.

Adapted from Leo Laporte's Five Things To Do To Protect Yourself:

1. Don't Open E-mail Attachments Even if an attachment looks like it's from a friend, don't open it, it could have been sent from a hacker and have a virus in it. Ask the sender if they really sent the attachment before opening it.
  2. Don't Click Links In E-mail Never click links in e-mail, type the address into your browser by hand. Since you can name links different than what they actually are (like this: http://www.google.com) and since links may look like they go somewhere they don't (like http://www.google.com@members.example.com/ may look like it goes to Google, but it truly goes to example.com).
  3. Don't Download Files From Places You Don't Know Are Safe / Don't Use BitTorrent or P2P Apps When you are downloading files, especially applications and .exe files, stick to the big sites. CNET, SourceForge, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Chances are, you can find that application on a large site. If you must download files from a smaller or less reputable site, scan it with your antivirus software right after you download it. BitTorrent and other P2P (person to person, a way of transmitting data) application may look great, but it can take only minutes using one to be infected. They often entice you with free music or software, but along with them are viruses.
  4. Update, Update, Update! Microsoft, Apple, and Linux development teams are always finding new holes in their operating systems then creating fixes, or patches, for them. To receive these patches, you should have the automatic update feature on and manually check every few days.
  5. Get a Firewall It is critical to have a firewall of some sort running while online, they block attacks on your computer. Routers are great hardware firewalls, since they block attacks before they reach your computer, cannot be disabled by viruses, and apply to any computer connected to that router -- it blocks attacks for more than just one machine. You should also run the simple built-in firewall on your operating system.

2. Only use one anti-virus application at a time. Running more than one anti-virus application with real-time protection at the same time can cause conflicts and make you vulnerable. It is, however, safe and a very good idea to scan with more than one anti-virus application.

3. Only use well known applications, like the ones on this list, because of the prevalence of rogue anti-malware applications.

4. If you believe you are infected, do not attempt to remove it with an anti-virus application, go to the Malware Removal forum and post an HJT log, noting any strange behavior you have seen.

5. Ensure your anti-virus application is set to update constantly, and once-in-a-while check to make sure it does update. Additionally, do not ignore warnings that are given to you by your security and anti-malware applications.

Below is a list of recommended anti-malware applications in no particular order.

Anti-virus Applications

Free
Most free antivirus applications have the same virus engine (virus detecting and removal component) as their paid counterparts, but lack features like real-time protection, e-mail scanning, and scheduling.

Paid
The price is for a one year subscription.

Anti-spyware Applications

PM me if you want to add something.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,508 posts.

30-Sep-2008, 08:51 PM #3
Comodo, a free firewall, is pretty well regarded around here.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
01-Oct-2008, 05:06 AM #4
I've just purchased NOD 32 from eset and no problems what so ever. They even offer discount to protect extra laptops or workstations.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

01-Oct-2008, 06:36 PM #5
Thanks for the recommendations. The reason I found Norton lacking is because eventhough I kept my system up to date and am always cautious with my surfing, my computer was infected on two different occasions. Both times, Norton claimed to have removed the threat and yet every time I booted up, it was obvious the virus / trojan was still on the system. When I pay for a package, the least I expect is that I am protected, especially when I am so careful.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,332 posts.

01-Oct-2008, 06:58 PM #6
No protection is perfect ....
and there's no protection against Windows getting corrupted for no good reason.
If you're going to pay for anything, Get a good system backup plan.
I use Acronis True Image and an External Hard Drive.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832200004

I can re-write a Hard Drive (new or corrupted) in just a few minutes
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!