Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Firewall broken?

(!)

Senior Member with 372 posts.

Experience: Like solving PC problems
09-Mar-2009, 05:22 AM #1
Firewall broken?
Hello,

I need help! I used to use NOD32 and the windows firewall but I needed a third party firewall for work so I have upgraded to ESET Smart Security which includes a firewall.

So I uninstalled NOD32 and installed ESS on both machines but I have discovered that the device manager on the XP PC said "This device cannot start" code 10 for the ESET personal firewall miniport and on the Vista PC the ESET GUI said "personal firewall is not working properly" as the "personal firewall rules could not be converted for an unknown reason".

I have tried uninstalling ESS and reinstalling (using admin account) but still the same occurs. So then I turned off the ESS firewall, which doesnt seem to be working anyway and re-enabled the windows firewall and went to sheilds up to test I am protected and I get FAILED on all accounts!

So please could anybody tell me how to either get the ESS firewall working or re-enable the windows firewall so that I am at least protected.

Thanks and advance.
Member with 8,250 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Mar-2009, 05:28 AM #2
4 p 2:
Which computer do you reference? I don't see Vista, which you reference in your text, in your signature area, with pc specs.

What is ESS? A link would be useful.

Thanks.

RF123

09-Mar-2009, 05:44 AM #3
Hi,

Sorry my signature may be out of date. I have both an XP and a Vista laptop and both used to work fine with NOD32 and the Windows firewall but both are playing up now that Im using ESET Smart Security (ESS) from http://www.eset.com/

I have just uninstalled ESS from the XP machine and turned back on the windows firewall but I fail the leak test at http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm and GRC shields up. So it seems I can not go back to using the windows firewall???

Hope Im making sence.
Member with 8,250 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 06:08 AM #4
4 p 2:
Which Vista? Which SP?

Thanks for the link.
Did you follow these instructions?
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...=ESS&actp=LIST

If so, try installing ESS again, then uninstall it again.
Too bad that ESET does not include a removal tool in their list of uninstallers for AV programs.
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Here's a manual removal / uninstall set of instructions.
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...=1236593237280

RF123
Member with 8,250 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 06:10 AM #5
What to do about XP failing grc's test?
http://www.grc.com/search.htm?cx=000...sa=Search#1198

RF123

09-Mar-2009, 07:13 AM #6
Done
Hi,

I have followed the full instructions to uninstall ESS from my Vista SP1 laptop.
I found all folders, files and registry entries and ESS looks as if it has the firewall enabled but still the leak test fails. Perhaps I am just not testing my firewall correctly?
How can I tell for sure that the ESS firewall is working or that the windows one is if I cant get the ESS one working?

Thanks for your help.
Member with 8,250 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 07:22 AM #7
I have no experience with ESET / NOD32, so I don't know about their tech support. Have you asked for their input? In theory, they are the experts. No disparagement is intended towards TGF members.

What is the message GRC gives you, regarding the status of your ESET FW?

A screen shot might help.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...ndows+Firewall

Open Microsoft Word, or other word processor that uses HTML links.
Create a link, such as www.techguy.org
Left click the link.
Does it connect?

Using the Mozilla link, above, uncheck the work processor you used.
Reboot the computer.
Return to the word processor, type: www.techguy.org
Does it connect?
If so, your FW did not work for that entry.

RF123

09-Mar-2009, 07:39 AM #8
I plan to call them in the morning. As this ESS firewall doesnt seem right.
Thanks again.
Member with 8,250 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 07:44 AM #9
4 p 2:
Please keep us informed.

YOU may become TGF's resident ESS expert!

RF123

20-Mar-2009, 05:55 PM #10
Device cannot start
I tried the symantec firewall test and it actually seems to be functioning even though I still get "device cannot start" in the device manager of the XP PC but I guess I will just have to ignore that "error" as it must not be anything to worry about?
Member with 5,654 posts.

20-Mar-2009, 07:58 PM #11
There is an 'official' Eset/NOD32 section at Wilders Security Forums; http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Are you using version 3 or have you upgraded to v 4? It seems that many people are having problems with the upgrade, possibly more so with ESS than with the NOD32 AV.

I have downloaded v4 of NOD32 but haven't installed it yet. I'm waiting for the dust to settle!
perfume has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
20-Mar-2009, 08:01 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4plus2 View Post
Hello,

I need help! I used to use NOD32 and the windows firewall but I needed a third party firewall for work so I have upgraded to ESET Smart Security which includes a firewall.

So I uninstalled NOD32 and installed ESS on both machines but I have discovered that the device manager on the XP PC said "This device cannot start" code 10 for the ESET personal firewall miniport and on the Vista PC the ESET GUI said "personal firewall is not working properly" as the "personal firewall rules could not be converted for an unknown reason".

I have tried uninstalling ESS and reinstalling (using admin account) but still the same occurs. So then I turned off the ESS firewall, which doesnt seem to be working anyway and re-enabled the windows firewall and went to sheilds up to test I am protected and I get FAILED on all accounts!

So please could anybody tell me how to either get the ESS firewall working or re-enable the windows firewall so that I am at least protected.

Thanks and advance.
Dear 4plus2,
Having both the default windows firewall and a third party firewall working at the same time will lead to conflicts. This is the general opinion.So, turn off your windows firewall and check with "shields up" with the third party firewall alone working. ESET's firewall and KIS2009 firewall are good enough and i use KIS and passed all the tests set up by Gibson.

12-Apr-2009, 05:22 PM #13
Sorry, for the delayed reply. I would only ever use one firewall at one time. I just ignore the error it reports in the device manager as the ESET firewall seems to be functioning okay. As I have used Shields Up to test it.
Member with 8,250 posts.

12-Apr-2009, 06:23 PM #14
How did you solve your problem?

RF123

12-Apr-2009, 07:22 PM #15
Didnt
I just ignore the device manager error "Cannot start device" as it seems the firewall is running.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!