Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Some General Questions About Avast AV Home Edition 4.8

(!)

Member with 1,184 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Apr-2009, 07:03 AM #1
Some General Questions About Avast AV Home Edition 4.8
I have version 4.8, but I assume this applies to any version:

1.) The license key is good for 12 months, how are you informed when it is about to expire? ( I made a notification of this in my e-mail calender) but do you get notified specifically by Avast from the program itself, or an e-mail from them?

2.) If you reinstall the program during those 12 months and re-enter your key, I assume that the license key is only good for the number of months remaining from the time you reinstall the software.

3.) As the license key is free to any valid e-mail address, can you apply the same license key (for the home edition) to multiple computers?

Jack
Computer Specs
Member with 6,990 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Apr-2009, 07:42 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1000 View Post
1.) The license key is good for 12 months, how are you informed when it is about to expire?
Avast will startup disabled and you have to get a new key to enable it again. You re-register at their site and they email you the key.

Quote:
2.) If you reinstall the program during those 12 months and re-enter your key, I assume that the license key is only good for the number of months remaining from the time you reinstall the software.
Right, the key is good for one year after you get it.

Quote:
3.) As the license key is free to any valid e-mail address, can you apply the same license key (for the home edition) to multiple computers?
Yes, you can use the same key for multiple computers.
Computer Specs
Member with 186 posts.

08-Apr-2009, 08:32 AM #3
Personally I would dump it altogether - the problems I have had uninstalling it have turned my grey hair white.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

08-Apr-2009, 08:51 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamajobert View Post
Personally I would dump it altogether - the problems I have had uninstalling it have turned my grey hair white.
That's why they now have the Avast Uninstall Utility.
Computer Specs
Member with 186 posts.

09-Apr-2009, 01:09 AM #5
Why isn't it built into the program, and why does the uninstall still not work properly?
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,317 posts.

09-Apr-2009, 08:14 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamajobert View Post
Why isn't it built into the program, and why does the uninstall still not work properly?
Well, it's one of the reasons I do not recommend Avast or AVG...
Member with 53 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Apr-2009, 11:45 AM #7
Avast 4.8 Home edition(FREE)
The key is good for 14 months. A month before it is due to be renewed Avast will give you a message reminding you to re-new the key for another 14 months.
If you want to see the renewal day, right click the Avast blue ball by your clock and click About Avast and you will see the date.

I really like Avast Free for home use only.
My family use Avast Free on 5 computers and have had great results with it. One computer is Windows 98SE, one is Windows ME and 2 computers are Windows XP and the other is Windows Vista.

Last edited by hairbender1950; 09-Apr-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Member with 1,184 posts.

09-Apr-2009, 05:12 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbender1950 View Post
Avast 4.8 Home edition(FREE)
The key is good for 14 months. A month before it is due to be renewed Avast will give you a message reminding you to re-new the key for another 14 months.
If you want to see the renewal day, right click the Avast blue ball by your clock and click About Avast and you will see the date.

I really like Avast Free for home use only.
My family use Avast Free on 5 computers and have had great results with it. One computer is Windows 98SE, one is Windows ME and 2 computers are Windows XP and the other is Windows Vista.
Thanks for that update!

When I registered they said 12 months, but I just checked and my expiration date is August 1, 2009, so I did get extended some. Users, what you do is just like was said above: Right-Click on the Avast ball in your System Tray, select About Avast, than look for the Registration Key information and click the + sign next to it. You will get the expiration date for updates that specifically applies to you. I run Windows XP Home.

Jack
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!