Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Spybot-should I deny?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Jun-2009, 10:33 AM #1
Exclamation Spybot-should I deny?
I get these two pop-ups every time I start my comp-they say an important registry key has been changed. These are the contents-

1)Value deleted

BootExecute

Old data-autocheck autock*

2)Value deleted

Exclude from known DIIs

What does this mean? Should I allow the change or deny it?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
29-Jun-2009, 09:09 PM #2
Dear azylia,
Welcome. The pop-ups you are getting are a function of the Tea Timer in Spybot.

TeaTimer in general:

There are two distinct functions within TeaTimer. One is rule based and the other is not:
TeaTimer Processes Monitor (Rule based).
TeaTimer monitors processes that are called or initiated in the system. If the process being called or initiated matches a list of known malicious processes in Spypot’s detection files, the process is terminated and an alert is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections. TeaTimer terminates the application before asking because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they have to be terminated before they can connect.

TeaTimer Registry Monitor (Not rule based).
TeaTimer monitors approximately 35 registry keys. If any change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring it appears that the change is actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that the change has been made it checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" entry that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a pop-up notification of the action it took. If not a TeaTimer popup dialog is issued. If you "Allow change" nothing is done. If you "Deny change" the change the registry change is reversed (note if you exit out of the pop-up dialog it appears that TeaTimer denies the registry change (reverses it).

Checking the "Remember this decision" option during the popup dialog stores the information for that change so that similar changes in the future will be handled automatically. After you answer the pop-up dialog TeaTimer issues a pop-up notification of the action you took.

You cannot reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry). That is why it is important to remember that:
If you allow all changes, you would be no worse off than if I didn't have Teatimer Enabled at all.
If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and security of your system.

To add,"Immunize" after every update of Spybot.

I suggest you read this informative article. Link :http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

Best Wishes.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
29-Jun-2009, 10:48 PM #3
To clarify a bit more,TeaTimer helps you to protect your system. The downside is that you have to know what you are doing when answering the pop-up dialogs issued by TeaTimer's, particularly the Registry change pop-ups.

Whenever you add a new program/software,like for example--today i installed a new web browser called "CometBird", a change in the registry takes place and if the Tea Timer detects it( it should), it asks whether the registry change be "allowed" or " denied". Since i know this change in the Registry is because of CometBird, i will "allow" the change. If you don't know why the T-T is asking for your permission, i personally would "deny" the change in the Registry and "tick' the box, because once you allow a change in the Reg. by T-T, it is irreversible for you and me because we don't know how to manually undo the change!Sorry for the bold type! Spybot S&D with Tea-Timer(T-T) is considered a benchmark against which all other security programs are compared. Keep it and you will not regret it. BTW, what version are you using?
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

29-Jun-2009, 11:15 PM #4
Do you have some other program that runs at boot, such as a defragger? Any boot-time defragger, like O&O, Diskeeper, or Raxco will add an entry there.

You need to find out what is changing that key before you can decide whether it should be changed. Open regedit and see what the key says now and after a reboot where you have allowed the change.
Computer Specs

29-Jun-2009, 11:22 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfume View Post
Dear azylia,
Welcome. The pop-ups you are getting are a function of the Tea Timer in Spybot.

TeaTimer in general:

There are two distinct functions within TeaTimer. One is rule based and the other is not:
TeaTimer Processes Monitor (Rule based).
TeaTimer monitors processes that are called or initiated in the system. If the process being called or initiated matches a list of known malicious processes in Spypotís detection files, the process is terminated and an alert is issued to notify you and allow you to make choices as to how to handle the same process during future detections. TeaTimer terminates the application before asking because threats like toll dialers are time critical - they have to be terminated before they can connect.

TeaTimer Registry Monitor (Not rule based).
TeaTimer monitors approximately 35 registry keys. If any change is made to one of the registry keys that TeaTimer is monitoring it appears that the change is actually made to the registry. When TeaTimer recognizes that the change has been made it checks to see if there is a stored "Remember this decision" entry that covers the change. If there is, TeaTimer uses that information and just issues a pop-up notification of the action it took. If not a TeaTimer popup dialog is issued. If you "Allow change" nothing is done. If you "Deny change" the change the registry change is reversed (note if you exit out of the pop-up dialog it appears that TeaTimer denies the registry change (reverses it).

Checking the "Remember this decision" option during the popup dialog stores the information for that change so that similar changes in the future will be handled automatically. After you answer the pop-up dialog TeaTimer issues a pop-up notification of the action you took.

You cannot reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. You have to redo whatever you were doing so that the Registry change is done again (or manually edit the Registry). That is why it is important to remember that:
If you allow all changes, you would be no worse off than if I didn't have Teatimer Enabled at all.
If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and security of your system.

To add,"Immunize" after every update of Spybot.

I suggest you read this informative article. Link :http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

Best Wishes.
This wouldn't be plagiarized, would it, like maybe from this page?
Member with 228 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2009, 09:43 AM #6
are we writing a term paper now lol.
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2009, 11:51 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdikevin View Post
are we writing a term paper now lol.
No, but the response wasn't really relevant to the question, and when someone uses another's work, it's always nice to give the credit where it is due.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
registry change, spybot

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!