Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Aug-2009, 06:08 PM #1
Question Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?
Hi,Does anyone know how I can stop pop up adverts that seem to be coming from tracking cookies? Some of the pop up adverts are for sites I really do not wish my 9 year old to see when with me browsing. I regularly do both quick scans and comprehensive scans since being hit by completely destructive nasties within weeks of getting my last computer but in the last few months I have noticed on this computer I get an increasing amount of pop up adverts from tracking cookies. I have windows vista and norton 360 installed, use ebay alot and google (unfortunately when I tried to remove google they sent nasties to the computer so I stopped the removal of their pre installed files.) Any help would be fantastic BUT I AM NOT A TECH HEAD JUST A BEGINNER, Thanks in anticipation.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,547 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Aug-2009, 09:09 PM #2
Go here and here and click on the green icon to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.40 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.27.0.1002.

During the install process, make sure to update them with the latest definition files.

Run a "quick scan" with Malwarebytes. When the scan is finished, select and fix everything it finds. Restart your computer if prompted to.

Run a "quick scan" with SUPERAntiSpyware. When the scan is finished, select and fix everything it finds. Restart your computer if prompted to.

Go into the log section of both programs and obtain a copy of the scan log, then return here and copy-and-paste both scan logs.

---------------------------------------------------------------
perfume has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
12-Aug-2009, 09:27 PM #3
Dear cataturtle,
Welcome to TSG! I will serve you with a smile! Did you do a complete can with SAS(Super Ant-spyware)? if you do not have that software, kindly download from : http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

I suggest you install WOT (Web Of Trust) which is an indicator of the trustworthiness of a site. Link : http://www.mywot.com/

Tracking cookies are usually either third party temporary cookies or the persistent ones! The headache is with the persistent ones! If you are using IE, Under Internet Options>Security>custom level(for internet) and tick "block popups". Again >internet options> Privacy> Select a setting for internet>choose"Medium High" and as you scroll down> tick on "Turn on Pop-up Blocker". Now, finally under>Internet options> "Advanced">security>kindly view the check marks i have used"(in the snap).Kindly view the snaps at the bottom as they might be of help as you proceed!
I have suggested all these presuming you have IE8 and using it! If you prefer Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2 (which you should, as it's my browser of choice with a capital C), then please get back and i will suggest how to go about configuring FF! Best wishes and happy surfing!
Attached Thumbnails
Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?-greenshot116.png   Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?-greenshot117.png   Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?-greenshot118.png   Tracking Cookies - How do I permenantly remove?-greenshot119.png  
Computer Specs
Member with 56,039 posts.

12-Aug-2009, 10:15 PM #4
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 11:21 PM #5
Dear hewee,
I should have mentioned HOSTS File as a cookie eater! Thumbs up to you!
Computer Specs

12-Aug-2009, 11:37 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfume View Post
Dear hewee,
I should have mentioned HOSTS File as a cookie eater! Thumbs up to you!
Yes it can keep you from all types of things.
The best thing there is.
Was over at my brothers and man all the ads on the PC and other junk.
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2009, 07:11 AM #7
Dear hewee,
Is your bro' using FF browser? The add-ons there are so delicious and tempting, one can't resist them! Having a good meal over there? Enjoy yourself!
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2009, 12:13 PM #8
Dear hewee,
Just off-topic-- when i was in kindergarten, my teacher used to tell us "Keep your brother(s) clean"! After all the clamor ( like, teacher, i have a sister,can i keep her clean?) settled down, being the mischief maker that i was and am, i got up and asked "mam, I don't have brothers and sisters, can i invite someone from class to get a clean-up?, and was as usual was asked to shut up and sit down! All this to tell you that it's your responsibility to clean out the junk if your bro' agrees!lol!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

13-Aug-2009, 01:44 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Go here and here and click on the green icon to download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.40 and SUPERAntiSpyware 4.27.0.1002.

During the install process, make sure to update them with the latest definition files.

Run a "quick scan" with Malwarebytes. When the scan is finished, select and fix everything it finds. Restart your computer if prompted to.

Run a "quick scan" with SUPERAntiSpyware. When the scan is finished, select and fix everything it finds. Restart your computer if prompted to.

Go into the log section of both programs and obtain a copy of the scan log, then return here and copy-and-paste both scan logs.

---------------------------------------------------------------
You can also use CCleaner to delete the cookies. If you REALLY want to stop the cookies from coming again, you can do the following:

Mozilla Firefox (Latest Version as of posting):

Tools>Options>Privacy> Turn off accept cookies

Or for Internet Explorer (Latest Version as of posting):

Tools>Internet Options>Privacy> Drag the bar up (prevents all cookies)

Note: You can't save passwords or save any settings, so you might not want to do this.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,547 posts.

13-Aug-2009, 04:49 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGeek View Post

Note: You can't save passwords or save any settings, so you might not want to do this.
I use these settings in the Privacy(tab) setting of IE8:

Override automatic cookie handling
First-party cookies - accept
Third-party cookies - block
Always allow session cookies

-------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
13-Aug-2009, 05:01 PM #11
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2009, 09:44 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGeek View Post
You can also use CCleaner to delete the cookies. If you REALLY want to stop the cookies from coming again, you can do the following:

Mozilla Firefox (Latest Version as of posting):

Tools>Options>Privacy> Turn off accept cookies

Dear cataturtle,
Choosing to "turn off all cookies" will severely hamper your browsing as session cookies too will not be accepted and the same applies to IE. Set the bar in IE to "medium-high"!
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2009, 04:04 AM #13
I use Firefox 2 and the best way to deal with cookies is say NO to all cookies by default.

I go to tool, options, Privacy Options.
Uncheck Accept cookies from sites

By default cookies are enabled. Uncheck this optionpreference to disable the use of cookies. Note that some sites may not work properly when cookies are disabled.

But I the Exceptions list.
There you put the site that you allow cookie from.
List allow, allow for session and block.

Block cookie would not even need to be listed unless they come from a site that you allow so then the list of block cookies should be small.

I have this many...
Allow - 34 sites
Allow for session - 34 sites
Block - 20 sites

That is all the cookies in the Exceptions list.
Site wise it is a whole lot less because of how some sites work and how I with backups would go into Hotmail, Gmail, Comcast and delete out unneeded cookies and I could delete out more but it can get hard and one goof up you got to unblock and start over because it does not list all the block cookie from the same site like it does for the allow so you can not see how many you blocked from the same site.

Then I use CookieSafe that lets you have a temp cookie that gets delete and never gets added to the Exceptions list.

Like with Spywareblaster it only deals with cookies on Firefox.
You can do the same with Spybot.
But with both of those program I have it deabled because all it does is add cookies to your Exceptions list and marks them as blocked.

So if you make up your own Exceptions list and set it up right you can keep the who list small and only 10 site I keep cookies on.

Then I clear the session cookies using CookieCuller that also makes it easy to clear all Unprotected cookies. I got there icon button on the toolbar so use it all the time to kill tracking before going to another site.

Even made my own cookie with cookie safe. It has a edit cookie that lets you change a couple things and at Image Shack I losted my cookies so could not get to my account.
I did find it or the code in a back up file and darn if that did not let a new cookie be made that got me back in my own account.
I can not edit my account because it wants the password. I have all my notes boxed up after I moved last year and it is in there some place in the garage. But I did get to the account and it knows me. Some of this trouble is Image Shack changed things on there end and not going there in a long time the bookmarks I had keep asking me to login when they never used to because the bookmarks knew me along with the cookies. Funny part is I can not get into my account there to edit but I can add, delete the images I have.
Darn I got an account there so long ago I am not even sure I had a password.
Like at XS http://xs.to/ when I got my account there all you needed to do was give then a email address and you got a ID number.
Now they changed things so I see this...
Quote:
XS.TO older version users can login with their already registered email address and type in a blank Password.
For improved security please update your password once you log in at YOUR PROFILE PAGE.
I have added a password just in case but need to change the email address because in the pass if you got stuck you clicked to have them email you your ID. But there is no ID login place any more. Plus I used Myway email and after they changed last Sept. lots of email I used to get I no longer get. They can not even get the myway email to work. They have been good at spam after the change but good email never even shows up now. Can not get to address book but told not to worry they know about it and your address will not be losted and it will get fixed real soon. Well how many years does it take. Emails to them get no where now because they screwed up and told the email service over to another that adds ads to all emails and that is where all the trouble is.
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2009, 09:58 AM #14
Quote:
Dear cataturtle,
Choosing to "turn off all cookies" will severely hamper your browsing as session cookies too will not be accepted and the same applies to IE. Set the bar in IE to "medium-high"!
Dear cataturtle,
My apologies to TheComputerGeek and profuse thanks to hewee, who as usual is a mine of information. Make a list of all the websites you visit and add them to the "exclusion list" and of course you can keep adding. The "Block list" is provided in my case by HOSTS File entries and that's a blessing which i owe to hewee again!

My policy has been, to " enable cookies" and block"Third party cookies" and i think i'll stick to it as long as my HOSTS File is updated by HOSTS Man! The willingness to learn from my mistakes, especially from knowledgeable folks in this forum has enriched me enormously! Sorry again TheComputerGeek!
Computer Specs

14-Aug-2009, 08:41 PM #15
Quote:
Dear cataturtle,
My apologies to TheComputerGeek and profuse thanks to hewee, who as usual is a mine of information. Make a list of all the websites you visit and add them to the "exclusion list" and of course you can keep adding. The "Block list" is provided in my case by HOSTS File entries and that's a blessing which i owe to hewee again!

My policy has been, to " enable cookies" and block"Third party cookies" and i think i'll stick to it as long as my HOSTS File is updated by HOSTS Man! The willingness to learn from my mistakes, especially from knowledgeable folks in this forum has enriched me enormously! Sorry again TheComputerGeek!
Get MozBackup and do a back and then when you want to go after the type of setting I use you be glad you did because that gives you the best control because it only goes by the Exceptions list only with what you list in it and the rights you gave to those sites and all others are bocked by default and they don't get added to the block list.
Cookie safe and the temp cookie is another way to allow a cookie but it never gets added to the Exceptions list
With the MozBackup it is easy to restore and your be able to take control of your cookies.

Note you can get 3rd party cookies still even if you block all 3rd party cookies no matter what your setting are.
Any cookie in the Exceptions list that is allow or allow for session can set a 3rd party cookie.
This is some that google has made use of a lot because they have there search and there gmail.
but they have there search at other web sites and they own youtube and so many other site so you can be at youtuble that can not set a google but google will set a session cookie or one of the many other sites google now owns.
Only way that is to not keep the cookies and login each time to all sites with cookie safe temp cookie because you do not what to put them on the Exceptions list.
I think the new Firefox 3.5 lets you go around without any tracking.
Opps it says...

Private Browsing

new Sometimes itís nice to go undercover. When this feature is enabled, you wonít leave a single browsing fingerprint behind for others to discover. You can slip in and out of private browsing mode quickly, so itís easy to return to what you were doing before as if nothing ever happened (you can also browse privately all the time).

I may be wrong but I read that to mean others who can see my computer that are right here at the computer.
So does it stop the cookie tracking or not I do not know. Darn it may just make you think it does because you don't see them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!