Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

BitDefender 2010 release

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2009, 10:54 AM #1
BitDefender 2010 release
Hi, I've entered today Bitdefender's home page to read some more about the Welchia worm(they have a pretty large database with lots of computer viruses and their behavior) and I've noticed they've changed the site. The 2010 version of BitDefender was launched today and I guess that explains the change!

I'm curently using the 2009 Internet Security version of Bitdefender, and I've heard so many good things about the 2010 that I want to try it(I'm satisfied with my current version but I'm curious to test the new one, as I can use the same key!). The problem is that I have only 2GB of RAM and I'm using Windows Vista, but the recommendations for Bitdefender 2010 on Vista is to have at least 1,5 GB of RAM. Does that mean it's going to slowdown my system?Did anyone tested the beta version of Bitdefender 2010?Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 100 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 11:07 AM #2
I was using a BETA version of the 2010 product using 2GB of RAM on Windows 7. Don't worry you'll be fine!
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 12:38 PM #3
Although BitDefender usually gets great reviews, please do not use the registry cleaner feature it now advertises in its Total Security version. We do not recommend any such software here on TSG. You'll only end up rendering some applications usuable. Do not mess with the registry.
Computer Specs
Member with 100 posts.

17-Aug-2009, 01:08 PM #4
I only use the Internet Security program anyway, not total security
perfume has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
17-Aug-2009, 10:16 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
Although BitDefender usually gets great reviews, please do not use the registry cleaner feature it now advertises in its Total Security version. We do not recommend any such software here on TSG. You'll only end up rendering some applications usuable. Do not mess with the registry.
Dear afrodaesia,
Can you kindly check and tell me about the "registry cleaning option" in B-D 2009 you have? I will be grateful for the info'!
Computer Specs
Member with 4,469 posts.

Experience: Getting it
17-Aug-2009, 10:31 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
Although BitDefender usually gets great reviews...
...their license is classified as nagware.

18-Aug-2009, 04:42 AM #7
@perfume, I don't have such an option, as I use Bitdefender Internet Security 2009 and only BitDefender Total Security includes Tune-up and Backup. I was interested in what Phantom010 had to say about the registry cleaner because I intend to migrate to the 2010 version.

If I choose the 2010 Internet Security version of BitDefender I can use the same key, but if I want to use Total Security(which seems interesting) I have to buy a new license. So, Phantom010 why do you say you don't recommend the use of the registry cleaner? How you encountered some specific issues in using it?Thanks!
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2009, 05:49 AM #8
Hi afrodaesia!

I also have been testing the beta version of Bitdefender 2010 on w7 and I was very happy with it! Now since the final version is out, I installed the BitDefender Internet Security 2010 suite and it is working perfectly; no slowdowns the scan time is reduced as well So I am a fan. So, afrodaesia, you can install version 2010!
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 08:01 AM #9
Quote" I was interested in what Phantom010 had to say about the registry cleaner because I intend to migrate to the 2010 version. "--by afrodaesia. I will leave it to phantom010 to use "some colorful language"about registry cleaners!
Dear aphrodaesia,

Thank you for informing me that BD 2009 does not have the "registry cleaning"option!
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 08:50 AM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfume View Post
Quote" I was interested in what Phantom010 had to say about the registry cleaner because I intend to migrate to the 2010 version. "--by afrodaesia. I will leave it to phantom010 to use "some colorful language"about registry cleaners!
Dear aphrodaesia,

Thank you for informing me that BD 2009 does not have the "registry cleaning"option!
Well, first of all, registry cleaners, optimizers or boosters are a huge scam! You won't see any increase in performance, believe me, I have tried quite a few in the old days when I wasn't computer savvy at all.

Second, we are regularly helping people with messed up systems or registries caused by the use of registry cleaners. A registry cleaner will clean up alright but it often deletes dlls "IT" thinks are no longer needed by your different applications. Most of the dlls or registry keys left behind are there for a reason. They might be needed sooner or later. That's when you have a problem when a program you're trying to reinstall doesn't want to install or ends up not working properly.

Third, you might begin to see some computer functions behaving in a weird manner or simply not working anymore.

So, that's when you guys come to TSG desperately seeking for help. Many times, you will have rendered many applications, or even your computer, unusable. Often, a complete OS reinstall will be the only solution because the dlls needed for repair will have been eradicated.

So, make a search here on TSG about registry cleaners and you'll get a better idea of how we feel about them.

Last edited by Phantom010; 18-Aug-2009 at 09:04 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 75 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Aug-2009, 08:51 AM #11
I have previously used Kaspersky IS 2009 version and used the same key for my up gradation to KIS 2010 version. It worked fine. Hope it also works for BitDefender.

18-Aug-2009, 08:57 AM #12
It's not very clear to me what exactly you were asking me!(I feel you're a little bit sarcastic) The Tune-up option(the only one that does something to the registry) is available only in the Total Security version of Bitdefender, but I use Internet Security so I don't have it. Where did I go wrong?

I'm still interested in what Phantom010 has to say against the use of the Tune-up option, as I was intending to migrate towards Bitdefender Total Security 2010.
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 09:02 AM #13
In my opinion, you don't need the Total Security version.

18-Aug-2009, 09:12 AM #14
Phantom010, thanks a lot for the information! What you say it makes perfectly sense! But while I was waiting for your response I did a little research and I found in Bitdefender's user guide(page 313) that the Tune-up feature includes, besides the Registry Cleaner, Recover Registry and Shred Files(something like "delete the deleted files"), which means that if you use the Registry Cleaner and you delete something you might need in the future, you can always get it back. At least that's how I understand it! Am I wrong somehow?!?
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2009, 09:18 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by seo View Post
I have previously used Kaspersky IS 2009 version and used the same key for my up gradation to KIS 2010 version. It worked fine. Hope it also works for BitDefender.
Dear seo,
The links posted by you have a( WOT )poor site reputation and pose a serious risk to those who unknowingly click on them! I have checked them by right-clicking and using WOT to assess them! I am reporting your post to the Admin/Moderators for any action as they see necessary!

PS: Another good reason for us all to check before we click on any link!
Attached Thumbnails
BitDefender 2010 release-greenshot133.png  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
anti-virus, bitdefender 2010

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!