Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Needed security software for brand new computer

(!)

Junior Member with 28 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 01:21 AM #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Not really true as most Antivirus and just about all Antispyware programs have rootkit protection.
Suggesting using ccleaner to validate the registry, is terrible advice to others. Many of us have hosed systems with this program and if you cannot rebuild a registry, you do not belong touching it.
CCleaner hosing the registry? I've used this program on hundreds of computers and have never had a problem with it's registry cleaner.
Computer Specs
Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Aug-2009, 01:26 AM #17
I would recommend Norton every time for anti-virus. For anti-spyware use Lavasofts and for Ad-Aware SE Personal which is available as a free download from the Google homepage.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-Aug-2009, 08:37 AM #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deazy86 View Post
I would recommend Norton every time for anti-virus. For anti-spyware use Lavasofts and for Ad-Aware SE Personal which is available as a free download from the Google homepage.
And some of my best fixes for slow drudging pc's is Norton software removal alone. Adaware is almost useless in todays crusade against malware. Such a pity it was one of the first products and was an excellent choice 5 years ago, but just fell way behind like Spybot did.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 08:38 AM #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass182 View Post
CCleaner hosing the registry? I've used this program on hundreds of computers and have never had a problem with it's registry cleaner.
I stopped at 4 pc's after the second 2 never booted again...not worth the effort. What are you cleaning anyway? The average pc I repair has a 250 gb hard drive in which 14 gb might be used. And I should clean the drives? Why?
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

31-Aug-2009, 08:53 AM #20
Quote:
And some of my best fixes for slow drudging pc's is Norton software removal alone. Adaware is almost useless in todays crusade against malware. Such a pity it was one of the first products and was an excellent choice 5 years ago, but just fell way behind like Spybot did.
I'll have to agree with Rich-M on that one.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

01-Sep-2009, 01:18 PM #21
Quote:
but just fell way behind like Spybot did.
Interesting... I've actually used SpyBot for about three years now, and it seems up to date. I recommend it to almost anyone who has security issues. I've saved numerous computers from a full reformat because S&D was able to find the culprit when nothing else would... That's just my experience though.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
anti-virus, firewalls, virus protection

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!