Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"401 Unauthorized" and "Protected Object" Error Messages

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Oct-2009, 01:05 PM #1
"401 Unauthorized" and "Protected Object" Error Messages
Could some please explain the correct sequence or syntax of the http entries in the Internet Explorerís browser address line to invoke the name and password entry box for a D-Link Camera, when accessing it remotely?

I have a dynamic host, which has an address that is entered in the browser's open box, in the following format:

http://servername.dynamichostname:portnumber. The port numbers are the ports assigned to the two cameras. The server name is the same server name that is assigned to the router and the DYNdns host. The dynamic host name is set up with DYNdns.org and has been tested using their tools and is reported as working.

I have tried the remote (internet) access on computers running both Windows XP home and professional, service pack 3.

The cameras are DCS-6620G 802g Wireless cams. Have configured cameras. If I am on my wireless intranet, I can access the cameras by either typing in their local IPs into the open box on the File Menu of Windows Internet Explorer or by using the IP Surveillance Software, no problem, so far. Each camera has an internal static IP, and each has been assigned its own HTTP port number which has been forwarded to the respective static IP in the Linksys WRT54G router.

Each Camera has an administrator name and password that has been saved. When accessing on my intranet, either through IE or the Surveillance Software, there is a drop down box that opens to input the name and password. This works fine on the intranet.

The problem is that I can not remotely access either camera either through IE or the software, as the box to input the name and password credentials does not automatically appear.

When outside of my intranet, meaning on the internet, when I enter my server name and the port number for either camera, I get back one of two error messages: "401 Unauthorized, Autorization Required," or "Protected
Object, the Object is Protected." The box for inputting either the administrator or user name and password does not appear or open, and there is no option that appears to input a name and password.

This is not a port issue, or a server issue, as I have remotely tested the access to each camera by configuring each without admin/user name and password access restrictions, and they appear in the browser screen fine.

So the question is: could anyone advise on what the proper html syntax or command sequences is to open the host remotely to access the name and password box to enter the credentials?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-Oct-2009, 07:49 PM #2
Please don't post duplicate threads. If your thread is in an inappropriate forum, please report it and a moderator will move it.

Continue the problem resolution here: http://forums.techguy.org/networking...ect-error.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!