Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Weird eBay Signin Page, what to do???

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Nov-2009, 08:16 PM #1
Weird eBay Signin Page, what to do???
Hi everybody,
I recently bought a Mac iBook G4 OSX 10.4.3 and using Firefox as Internet Browser, and this is where I get this trouble with a weird eBay sign-in page.
I own a second Mac Desktop and I signed into eBay the normal way, through the regular page.
I need to visit eBay several times a day, because I do business there.
Anyway, when I try to do this on my Mac Book, I get a completely different signin screen. I never entered my info, because it seems fishy to me.
I downloaded a virus scan and it detected one phishing virus, which I immediately put under Quarantene. I thought this would solve the problem, but it didn't.
I need to be able to access eBay from my Mac Book during the day.
I just don't dare to log in.
Here's the link to the weird signin page, if it helps to answer my concerns.
https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...2Fwww.ebay.com
I also have to mention, that on my Mac book it always asks me to sign in, even when on my Deszktop it shows that I am securely signed in.
This also happens to me on my yahoo Mail Signin Page.
Does anyone know what I can do about this? And if this is a phishing web Site or not?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all responders in advance.
Blessings...Swiftley
Computer Specs
Member with 304 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Nov-2009, 03:17 AM #2
it looks legitimate
if your not sure look at the address it should have no forward slashes before ebay.com. all the forward slashes come after that(except of course the http://)
examples include these
if your still unsure.type in www.ebay.com and go to the site map down the bottom ,which will navigate you to the login page
hope this helps
also your yahoo page should look like this
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login.../au.yahoo.com/

hope this helps
Member with 348 posts.

19-Nov-2009, 12:33 AM #3
in the examples given above everything between the // and the @ sign is fake and added in and you will be directed to 10.19.32.4 what ever that resolves to (to lazy to dns lookup) if you ever want to know where a link goes go to dnsstuff.com and do a dns lookup or traceroute if its like http://ebay.ca%40192.168.0.1 then your not going to ebay your going to 192.168.0.1.

Most browsers dont allow this anymore however some do so just be careful, if you want more info you can look up dotless IP and D-words and the %40 is the hex value for the @ sign so watch for that too.

If you ever not sure just traceroute or ns lookup or simply ping the url and it will resolve back to an IP address this is all part of the DNS lookup on the internet.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
malware browser, phishing, phishing signin page

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!