Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

CAPS LOCK reversed

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

19-Apr-2010, 10:56 AM #1
CAPS LOCK reversed
Here is a post from jonto12 in 2009 that has expired but I have the same problem:

Reverse Caps Lock, Clicking Links Open New Windows - And Other major problem... Virus
Reverse Caps Lock, Clicking Links Open New Windows - And Other major problems... Virus? Cant type numbers, on and off for over a year - really need help.

last night , I experienced a strange series of occurences on my computer (Windows XP/ PRO) that I thought had ended - .

when I was typing, that I was doing so in all caps - even though my Caps Lock was disabled.

When I enabled Caps Lock, it then started typing all lower case letters.

Other keyboard symptoms: the period and the comma were not available, only able to type > or < with or without the Shift key. Also, the Shift key didn't work with most keys for characters. There were also issues in selecting text in a field.

Another nuisance during this period is that when I clicked on a link, it would open up a new browser window, as opposed to the link opening in the same window.

Frustrated, I restarted the computer. I made sure no keys were stuck. When I rebooted, it appeared I was still experiencing these weird symptoms. I had double clicked on an icon on my desktop, it had selected more than one icon and opened the first one to the right.

I immediately ran Spybot/ AVG. found nothing - problem stops at random.
Good news, for now, is that a Spybot search found nothing major, and an Anti-Malware scan turned up empty.

I guess my question is, what should I do if I find myself typing the wrong characters again today?

And has anyone else experienced this problem? The more people know about this, the better! please help - I have formated the entire maching and drives - problem just rea ppears.

If your still there jonto12 did you fix the problem? My problem is on a Dell Latitude notebook. Someone suggested to remove/install the the battery to do a reboot. I checked the Accessibility Options thing. It's not that. An external keyboard does the same thing. Ran adaware and virus checker.
Junior Member with 6 posts.

19-Apr-2010, 11:02 AM #2
I also switched from hibernate to standby. No change.

One other thing. When I open Word the first letter I type is a small cap which is correct. The next letter is a Large cap and it stays that way until I turn off the computer and restart it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,688 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Apr-2010, 11:37 AM #3
Closing duplicate thread to: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...-reversed.html

Please do not post more then one thread per topic.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!