Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Win Updates Interfering with XP Browser?

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Apr-2010, 10:28 PM #1
Win Updates Interfering with XP Browser?
I recently downloaded and installed the April Windows Security patches (including KB979683 and KB978601, which apparently gave other people some trouble) and am now encountering problems with my browser, IE 7.

After turning on the computer (a Lenovo laptop running on XP), Internet Explorer will work fine, but after closing the browser and re-launching it a few times, it stops working for major sites like Google, Wikipedia, or Amazon, displaying the pages either incorrectly or with a totally blank window. Interestingly enough, some less popular sites I frequent still seem to work fine, and possibly a few social networking sites (but I'm too wary to log in past the main pages to find out for sure).

After rebooting the computer, the browser apparently works again, but then after multiple uses it follows the same pattern of distorted and blank pages as before. Also, an AVG virus check and Spybot scan failed to turn up anything, and right now I'm accessing this website from another computer.

Anyway, has anyone else seen this specific problem before or know what might be causing it?

Last edited by InsecurityUpdate; 21-Apr-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Moderator with 13,743 posts.

21-Apr-2010, 11:08 PM #2
Hi InsecurityUpdate

Your second post on this same subject has been deleted.
Please do not create duplicate posts.
Continue replies in this thread for this issue.
Thank you
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Apr-2010, 11:13 PM #3
Sorry about that; I just figured it wouldn't be a problem since the post seems to fit in either forum (although I won't know for sure until I actually find out what's causing the problem.)

I guess I'll need to read the forum posting rules more carefully.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blank, browser, patch, screen, update

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!