Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IP Address Hacked

(!)

StanleyPaul StanleyPaul is offline StanleyPaul has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM #1
IP Address Hacked
Hello Sir / Ma'am,
Im Cyril, Im working in pvt sector, I was searching to know whether my Ip address is hacked and someone in google suggested to type NETSTAT to know the address connected to my IP Address, so when i typed i saw in Foriegn Address lot of foriegn addresses, I dont what to do, I dont even know whether Im hacked or not, if i saw in other computer i see only local address, please somebody help me, im very much afraid. what shall i do now. Please help.

Thank You
Cyril
Computer Specs
Member with 5,550 posts.

23-Apr-2010, 01:34 AM #2
First of all, you need to determine whether you have been hacked. Are there any strange things happening on your PC ? Some hackers try to disrupt a working PC. For example, they may disable Internet Explorer from working. So see if any programs are not working as before.

Some hackers prefer to lurk and not disrupt anything, and just sit and watch. These types may install keyloggers and screen scrapers. I use Webroot's Spysweeper and it claims it can detect keylogging programs. Don't know what can be done against screen scapers though, these take snapshots of your screen.

Run msconfig and look at the startup tab. That screen list all the programs that run at startup. See if there is any program that you don't recognize. Uncheckmark the ones you don't want to run.

Start task manager and see if there are unknown programs running. But if you are not that familiar with Windows, then you won't know which is which.

Do you have a router? If not, go buy one. Even if you only have one PC. Routers are low end hardware firewalls and they can stop most hackers.

Do you have a software firewall ? If not, go download Online Armor Free version, which is a pretty good firewall.

Is your PC up to date with Windows security patches? If not, you must do Windows Update now. Hackers hack into PCs by taking advantage of system weaknesses -- unpatched Windows. Also go and download the latest version of Adobe Flash. Then download Secunia's PSI. Found here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

This program scans and detect vulnerable software that you have installed, and provide you with links to download the patched versions. A Very good program to have.

If you still don't trust that you have not been hacked, then the best thing to do is to reformat and re-install Windows. That will get rid of the hacker 100%. Then run Windows Update.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

24-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM #3
Ip Hacking (Help)
Hello Sir, Good Morning,
As you said i did all the method but after installing Online Armour and Secunia PSI my internet explorer is not opening, i mean it opens and immediately it closes, when i scanned using PSI software it shoed some six errors and asked to repair it, after i did that it installed internet explorer 8 automatically, but now its not opening, what shall i do ?

Thank You
Cyril Stanley*
Computer Specs
Member with 5,550 posts.

24-Apr-2010, 01:14 AM #4
So I assume IE7 was running properly before upgrading to IE8 ? Maybe something is stopping IE 8 from opening. Try running malwarebytes and scan your pc. Available here:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...=dl&tag=button

Try downloading another browser like Opera and see if that works.

http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

I run IE8 only when I have to, because IE is too integrated into Windows and can load any ActiveX on the system, even if they are not meant for internet use. Some security problems happened that way in the past.
perfume has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
24-Apr-2010, 12:47 PM #5
Dear Stanley Paul,
Hi there! In addition to the excellent advise lunarlander has given in his first post, i will add a simple but effective utility. It is called "KeyScrambler". The only reason why Lunarlander might not have mentioned it is, if "probably" you have hackers playing in your pond, then the utility is of no use!

Can you kindly elaborate as to what triggered this suspicion that your ip has been hacked? website of Key scrambler : http://www.qfxsoftware.com/. Best wishes and may the SandGod shower His/Her blessings on you( not very sure about that particular Big Boss has a mustache or not)! Cheer up, you have come to the right site!(You're a member, you should know!).
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

26-Apr-2010, 04:29 AM #6
Cyril Stanley
Hello Sir, Thank You for your reply,i little know about hacking, so i was searching in google for the procedures to find out whether my IP address is hacked, while doing i saw netstat command will explore all the details ,so when i did that i found that many foriegn connections connected to my computer, seeing this i posted here, & after following what lunar lander said, i saw many keyloggers, and in onloine firewall its still showing that my IP address is connected to germany japan france and all, im extremely afraid, I did everything what Sir lunar lander said, now i will do with what you said Sir,apart from this i don't know whether im hacked, even i saw something like tracking cookies, and many unknown things happening.

Thank You
Cyril Stanley Paul
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,427 posts.

Experience: Get all things wrecked up
26-Apr-2010, 06:32 AM #7
In addition to lunar's post ,consider running a quick scan with SAS(Download link in my sign)

It will detect any hidden spywares that might be sending info to the hacker
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2010, 06:32 AM #8
In addition to lunar's post ,consider running a quick scan with SAS(Download link in my sign)

It will detect any hidden spywares that might be sending info to the hacker
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

28-Apr-2010, 12:20 AM #9
Hello, Thank You everybody, now everything is fine Sir, i again typed NETSTAT in cmd now its not showing any foriegn address, but system has become little slow, but thanks a lot Sir's for your guidence.

Cyril Stanley
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2010, 07:30 AM #10
Sorry for the double post ,guys
Computer Specs
Member with 5,550 posts.

02-May-2010, 01:56 AM #11
Hi StanleyPaul,

Hope you are still reading this thread.

Note that the Netstat command is only a taking a snapshot in time. So, while there may be no connections now, doesnt mean that the hacker has fully left. Check Netstat every now and then, to make sure there are no more connections to strange addresses.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

04-May-2010, 04:19 AM #12
Cyril
Hello Sir, as you said i checked, but there are still some foriegn address's connected. What Shall i do Sir ?
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

04-May-2010, 04:20 AM #13
Thank You a lot Sir for suggesting "Keyscrambler" software. It's very usefull...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,550 posts.

05-May-2010, 02:07 AM #14
Were you surfing when you ran the netstat? Those foreign addresses may be your browser surfing to those places.

The only real way to get rid of a hacker is to format and reinstall windows. Hackers can hide their tools on your pc in a way you can never find them.

What Windows are you using? Vista ? XP ? Win7 ?

Were you able to get IE 8 running again?

Last edited by lunarlander; 05-May-2010 at 02:31 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

05-May-2010, 04:38 AM #15
Cyril *
Hello Sir how are you ?
Yes, as you said i was surfing yahoo while checking netstat, even in cmd it showed lot of address ending with yahoo. but some two ip address is established which is starnge to me. Im working in "Windows XP" Sir.Yes Sir IE is working now, its shortcut was corrupted i think, because i typed in run as iexplorer it opened.

Thank You
Cyril *
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!