Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Is Windows Firewall ok to use? or should I use another?

(!)

Member with 785 posts.

23-May-2010, 04:32 PM #1
Solved: Is Windows Firewall ok to use? or should I use another?
Hi all,

Just quick question if someone could. I use SuperAntiSpyware and have windows firewall turned on but was just wondering is that sufficient? or should I be using some other type of firewall? thanks for any help...suggestions
Computer Specs
Member with 5,620 posts.

23-May-2010, 04:37 PM #2
Which version of Windows are you running. The firewall that comes with Vista or Windows 7 is pretty good. But you'd have to separately turn on Outbound blocking. Then also, it is pretty hard sometimes to figure out which applications you need to allow outbound to the internet. If you want to use Windows own, you may need Sphinx's Windows 7 Firewall Control Free.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,373 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2010, 04:39 PM #3
It's a matter of personal preference.

I use the built-in Windows XP and Windows Vista firewalls, AVG 9 for combating viruses, and SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for combating spyware and malware.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 785 posts.

23-May-2010, 06:07 PM #4
I am running Vista. I have superantisypware and had AVG but was running into computer slowdowns.
Member with 785 posts.

23-May-2010, 06:08 PM #5
Oh also where is a good place to download AVG 9?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,373 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2010, 06:21 PM #6
You can download all 3 that I mentioned from here.

During the install process of AVG 9, decline to install the AVG toolbar and the Yahoo search engine. After it restarts, decline to run the optimized scan.

If you decide to install SAS and MBAM, my recommendation is that you run a quick scan with them about every 2 weeks and then remove everything they find. And you need to remember to update their definition files first before running a quick scan with them so they're not using outdated definition files.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 101 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-May-2010, 10:26 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
You can download all 3 that I mentioned from here.

During the install process of AVG 9, decline to install the AVG toolbar and the Yahoo search engine. After it restarts, decline to run the optimized scan.

If you decide to install SAS and MBAM, my recommendation is that you run a quick scan with them about every 2 weeks and then remove everything they find. And you need to remember to update their definition files first before running a quick scan with them so they're not using outdated definition files.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you run SAS and MBAM at the same time in the background, or just run biweekly scans?
Computer Specs
Member with 557 posts.

24-May-2010, 10:40 PM #8
Run SAS and MBAM at separate times. You can run them weekly or bi-weekly, whatever you prefer. As flavallee said, remember to update their definition files before running the scans
perfume has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
25-May-2010, 03:55 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
It's a matter of personal preference.

I use the built-in Windows XP and Windows Vista firewalls, AVG 9 for combating viruses, and SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for combating spyware and malware.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Dano 2, Yes, it is a matter of preference, if you are behind a GOOD router! For testing purposes, i have un-installed the KIS 2010 and installed,1)Microsoft Security Essentials,2)PC Tools Firewall Plus free,3) MBAM and SAS(both bought-my permanent defenders) and 4) RISING DOCTOR which is free and which i found to be a fantastic piece of anti-malware! Note: it's from China. They have a free A-V and a free Firewall too.5) I have Mamutu (in real-time), which is over-kill and i prefer the MBAM in real-time.So, most of the time, Mamutu just exists,but exits from the task bar. I never had much confidence in the default Windows XP firewall and is turned off. The present day free firewalls have bi-directional protection, where as the default one is good for out-bound traffic! This is the first time i am using this personal firewall and am impressed! You have fair routers, good routers, very good routers and top-notch routers! It all depends on how much you are willing to shell out and i mean it! I recommend, you try the free firewall i am using and you will see how important it is in the scheme of things and early on, you will have to put up with the pop-ups, but that's what it's there for!Please kindly reject the offer of a bundled PC Tools Firewall Plus+ Spyware Doctor which is on offer! It really cheeses you off! Best wishes!!
Member with 3,896 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2010, 05:22 PM #10
firewall
i like and use comodo free firewall. it downloads both firewall and antivirus but i only install the firewall.it was rated 2 or 3 a while back.

http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Interne...ity_d6234.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!