Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Random Windows Sounds = Virus?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-May-2010, 06:37 AM #1
Random Windows Sounds = Virus?
I've google'd it a bit after hearing it from a friend that random Windows sounds mean that I have some kind of malware/virus. Is this true? It kind of seems like a myth to me, but I'm not sure.

I need some help removing said virus, or fixing these sounds. (if it's not a virus, this thread will probably need to be moved)

I've scanned with MBAM, and no dice.
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

29-May-2010, 09:07 PM #2
I hate to bump, but I'm not going to get any replies otherwise. I just got a "Windows log off" sound by closing a tab in Chrome. I don't know what's going on.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
29-May-2010, 11:04 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
I hate to bump, but I'm not going to get any replies otherwise. I just got a "Windows log off" sound by closing a tab in Chrome. I don't know what's going on.
Dear Spectro,
Did you try disabling the default sounds in Windows 7? I am not familiar with the "wheels within wheels" of the new Avatar of Windows! However new, the PC or Laptop is, it's better to check that and rule out any hardware related probs. Devise Manager may give you a clue! If you have installed Win.7 on an old HD, that may be a cause. There was an interesting discussion in this link, which i am sure will pinpoint the source of the odd sounds in your pc! Link : http://broadbandforum.in/troubleshoo...d-pc-computer/
Attached Thumbnails
Random Windows Sounds = Virus?-speaker-performance.png   Random Windows Sounds = Virus?-sounds-advanced.png   Random Windows Sounds = Virus?-sounds-win.7.png  

Last edited by perfume; 29-May-2010 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: Thumbnails!
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

29-May-2010, 11:15 PM #4
There don't seem to be any flags in device manager. It's not a sound coming from my tower, they are windows sounds such as logging off and logging on sounds. They are played at random, or so it seems. I could disable all Windows sounds, I suppose.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,011 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
30-May-2010, 11:50 AM #5
Dear spectro,
Kindly check out what's under the hood and the performance with this free tool---> Link : http://www.eset.com/download/sysinspector

Okay,HD Tune pro version allows a free trial, so let us be a bit s.m.a.r.t, and download it and check the various parameters of your Radeon HD! Link : http://www.hdtune.com/

Your bump surely woke someone up and that's me! Anyway,as my fav. novelist and a master of English P.G.WODEHOUSE said"INTO EACH LIFE SOME RAIN MUST FALL" and he was from U.K. Another phrase i liked immensely was "you cannot make an omellete without breaking a few eggs"! I miss him!
So, let us see how the scene unfolds, as you try these softwares! Best wishes!
Computer Specs
Member with 46 posts.

30-May-2010, 12:49 PM #6
I'm not exactly sure which tests I should be running in HD Tune. Some of the start buttons are grayed out, too.

I'm also not really sure what I should be looking for in SysInspector.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,240 posts.

01-Jun-2010, 05:12 AM #7
if you're still experience background sounds/music when a browser is open, IE or firefox etc, you might want to post your concerns in the malware forum & post a log just in case.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!