Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Public computer setup

(!)

Member with 115 posts.

29-May-2010, 09:38 AM #1
Public computer setup
I hope this is the right forum for my questions. I find myself in the position of being the default computer guy for a small public library. We can't afford to pay for computer hosting by someone in the business. We are going to be installing 4 computers for the public to use. We want to network them to our high speed internet and a printer, which is no problem. What I would prefer to ba able to do, however, is to keep persons using them from doing things like changing screen savers, changing setup configurations, saving stuff to the harddrive, and downloading programs and junk from the internet. The machines will all be Windows OS, probably XP or higher. I know I can set them up as an administrator and then let them use it as a guest log-on but that still seems to allow them more access to the setup for the Guest log-on than we would like and they would still have access to the harddrive. Does anyone know if what we want to do is possible and if so where I could look for some guidance?
Computer Specs
Member with 47,118 posts.

Experience: Einstein Jr. Indeed
29-May-2010, 10:01 AM #2
Myself I would buy Deep Freeze from Faronics and freeze them where they will go back to the way they were set up. I use this on my pc and have no problems.There are also free ones but I have never used them. Here is the link go there and look around and read all about it. http://www.faronics.com/en/Products/...Corporate.aspx
Davec has a Photo Album
Gone but never forgotten with 4,435 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jun-2010, 10:38 AM #3
Member with 115 posts.

10-Jun-2010, 09:11 PM #4
The MS Windows Steady State looks like a great tool. Trouble is, the web site syas ther are no plans to support Windows 7 with Steady State.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,338 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jun-2010, 09:17 PM #5
Perhaps Returnil?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
10-Jun-2010, 10:05 PM #6
Do you want to be able to administer the computers from a central one, or just restore them after they are used?

Using DeepFreeze or similar will allow you to make them administrators and do whatever they want and still be able to restore the machines when you want.

But it would be more convenient to do everything from a central location with "internet cafe" software.

http://cafesuite.net/
http://www.mycafecup.com/
Or for classrooms: http://www.netcontrol2.com/
Member with 115 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 05:59 PM #7
Thanks, I'll check it out as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!