Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is MS Security Essentials worth the time???

(!)

Member with 518 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2010, 09:30 AM #1
Question Is MS Security Essentials worth the time???
Just wondering about the newer breeds of Malware floating about, is Microsoft Security Essentials any better than the combo of, say, AVAST, MBAM, CCleaner ... ?? and the specialized tools for post-infection should that unhappily occur.

Mainly I'm dealing with Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, and Win XP Pro.

your thoughts?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,255 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2010, 11:20 AM #2
Compare like with like. Ask is MSE on par with Avast?

CCleaner is not an antimalware tool at all, it's primary purpose is as a temp file cleaner and its secondary purpose is as a privacy guard. MBam is antimalware, but isn't an antivirus either. You could use Mbam with MSE as easily as with Avast. Likewise MSE doesn't preclude you from using CCleaner. If something gets past MSE, as some things get past any antivirus, then you'll bring out the specialized removal tools just as you would if it were Avast that had been outgunned

As to whether MSE is worth it compared to other Antivirus programs, Antivirus comparisons are always disputed and often go quickly out of date. MSE, Avast, and Avira are good free products, but I won't say any more.
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

20-Aug-2010, 11:58 AM #3
FWIW I use MSE on one PC, Avast on another, and AVG on a 3rd. Haven't had any trouble with infections on any of them. (I also periodically scan them with other products, such as MBAM.) OTOH I also practice safe hex-don't visit dodgy websites, click on email links, etc. so all I can really say is that these seem 'decent' as far as protection goes. If I felt like indulging in risky behavior (downloading pirated software, for example) then I might be able to better evaluate differences in their protective abilities. As it is, all I can say is that any of them provide adequate protection for a reasonable person.

Of the 3 I prefer Avast, but that preference is based on how little it impacts performance-with MSE a close second in that regard.
Member with 518 posts.

20-Aug-2010, 09:43 PM #4
I prefer AVAST based on realworld experience with other packages, notably AVG, allowing dangerous infections.

Check me on this: are you guys inferring that MSE is virus-only? if so, my decision is made already.... I will not mess with an AV package 1.0.

As to CCleaner, I beg to differ slightly: the first step I take on limping machines is to toss out the junk, and check the registry. the latter is controversial, but I think the consensus here on this forum is that ccleaner is as good or better than the more aggressive apps for that purpose. I do not regard it as preventative.

QUESTION: is there Zero corrolation between MSE and Windows Defender? two separate efforts by diff teams for diff objectives?
Member with 394 posts.

21-Aug-2010, 12:19 AM #5
I found Microsoft Essentials to be nothing special, so I've never installed it on another OS. I would just stick with whatever antivirus program you already have.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,255 posts.

21-Aug-2010, 03:56 AM #6
MSE provides Antiviral and antispyware defence, completely encompassing and superseding Windows Defender. It disables Defender during the install. Personally I prefer MSE to AVG, in the same ball park as Avira, and perhaps slightly lower than Avast because the last provides more tools.

I will also sometimes use CCleaner to wipe out the junk files and I use it as a startup manager as well. This can have some overlap with manual virus removal (and fortunately viruses which block security suites don't think of CCleaner). However that doesn't make it an antimalware tool, much less an active defence. I think that most people who dislike Registry cleaners dislike them as a group. CCleaner still doesn't allow useful registry backups.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!