Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

General Security General Security
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ZONEALARM + AVG + Adaware + Spybot =OK?

(!)

Junior Member with 24 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2010, 12:29 PM #1
ZONEALARM + AVG + Adaware + Spybot =OK?
I am runnning ZoneAlarm Pro and AVG Antivirus 9.0 (Paid) on my Windows XP SP3 PC. A instuctor of a basic computer class I took suggested that in addition to those to run Adaware and Spybot manually too. Questions...

1. Is there a conflict by installing Adaware and Spybot to my current security (ZoneAlarm & AVG)?
2. Can Adaware & Spybot be installed to not run in the background and then run manaully at will?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

25-Oct-2010, 01:03 PM #2
That's ok, but personally I think all that is overkill. You can change the settings in the all of those to run or not run at startup.

"AVG Free" and manually running "Malwarebytes" every once in awhile is just fine.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://free.avg.com/
Junior Member with 24 posts.

27-Oct-2010, 10:13 AM #3
Well I am running AVG (paid) and Malwarebytes but I still got a viurs.

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-othe...age-virus.html

When I get this resolved (still waiting for help), I was wanting to take any additional measures to prevent this from happening again.
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

27-Oct-2010, 12:13 PM #4
Try going in safe mode and running MB and AVG. You haven't told us what virus you have but you can search for that virus specifically and get specific instructions on removing it. I think the 2 I just named are mostly sufficient enough. There is no protect-all. You can have 5 AV programs and still click a banner or bad link etc and still get a virus.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,584 posts.

27-Oct-2010, 12:34 PM #5
Hi aparis99
Quote:
You haven't told us what virus you have but you can search for that virus specifically and get specific instructions on removing it.
please do not advise on virus removal - on this site only people with a shield are allowed to give any advice on virus removal

see rules here http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
Quote:
Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield next to their name and authorized malware removal trainees have a blue shield next to their names. If you'd like to participate in a training program, please contact a Moderator or see this article.

Trusted Advisors are specially selected individuals who have proven that they are technically knowledgeable, dedicated and highly respected members of our community. In appreciation of their work and to support their efforts, they will have extended permissions when it comes to using tools such as HijackThis, etc. We understand that they are quite capable of handling minor issues that may appear in a HijackThis log and can easily diagnose more serious situations that need to be turned over to a qualified malware removal helper and will act accordingly. Trusted Advisors have a green shield next to their names.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!